Today I walked with Dr. Heba to her car and I stayed silent because I respect her so much I don't know what to say despite grinning inside. It's like an excited puppy with its master. But I responded well to all her questions, I guess she realised I was awkward with her.
On our way back, she was on my left when suddenly she greeted someone merrily in Arabic. I turned to see and guess who it was?
None other than DR. HUSSEIN KHAIRY!!
I automatically went into fangirl mode with super smile and hyper "Hello sir how are you!" And he smiled at meeeeeeeee! A real smile! I worked hard today and met Dr. Heba for Dr. Acap Haider's sake and Allah gifted me Dr. Hussein's smile! I sure hope it was because he remembered me as his student, the girl who always ponteng his class but when she comes she sits in the front bench to the right of the hall.
Maybe that was just a genuine smile to one of his very many campus godchildren, but anyway let me lie and be happy.
His hair was as wild as always, he looked good, he looked happy(er), a little worn out but less strained than when I usually see him walking around patrolling the campus. He was wearing his worn out navy red striped shirt with the sleeves rolled up and carrying with him a weird cardboard cutouts in a plastic wrap.
Dr. Heba pulled me nearer to her without turning to me while she faced Dr. Hussein with her smile. She talked to him in rapid Arabic and when I realised she just said "sir you will come to the kids' graduation day, yes?" my eyes dilated bigger and I jumped in (albeit in English) "Please sir, you have to come!"
He grinned at me but seemed reluctant and made excuses. "I'll see if I'm not busy that day," he said in Arabic.
They continued their pushing-and-pulling-away with mentions of gifts and certs. I stood there, absorbing the fact I was finally seeing the esteemed ex dean. Finally, I don't have to wait for his class to resume after the winter break to see him!
We parted because we all had other errands to attend to. As I resumed walking with Dr. Heba, I asked "He is going to come to the graduation, right?"
"He will. He just need some pushing," Dr. Heba smiled and made a pull-and-push gesture with her fist. I laughed.
"He has too. He is the beloved dean in our heart."
"Ahh, but you've only spent a day with the new dean."
"Dr. Hussein has been with us for the past three years, that is why."
---
I have no idea who the dean was before Dr. Hussein. He was a shadow of a name I don't even recall. When Dr. Hussein took office democratically voted by the faculty members, he opened his door for us students. He met us, listened to us and took care of us. Every morning before his 7am daily free lecture, he will make his round on the campus. Even the resident three-legged dog Kimi liked him!
He was so much in our campus life and during our last crucial years. I imagined receiving my scroll from him and to take a picture with him in our academic robe since Gen07's graduation early in 2014, it's so hard to undue the image now..
P/s: I saw Kimi yesterday and I thought, perhaps Dr. Hussein amputated his leg? He is a vascular and general surgeon and he is an animal lover and is generally curious enough to explore his passion, it was possible he studied the anatomy of a dog's lower limb for Kimi's sake.
Or he assisted his vet friend maybe? I need to solve the mystery of Kimi's leg before I BFG.

1 comment:
i love your writing! really. =)
Post a Comment