بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Walk and talk

There is this one staff who has been greeting me familiarly.

It started spring last when I was walking through the dean's building with a friend. Somebody called out "Ya anisah (miss)" and we both turned to see an average built man in his early 40's, thin oval moustached face with thinning front hair in a two-size-too-big jacket smiling at me. He asked me if my business was settled.

I smiled back politely despite an awkward beginning and dumbly affirmed. I thanked him, we both wished each other a good day and I walked along to wherever it was we were going.

My friend asked me who he was and I told her "I don't know. Maybe he mistook me for someone else."

I had no idea what it was about, but since he greeted me so kindly I decided to acknowledge him as well. (I despise it when Egyptians call us out with "Ya Malizia". You don't see us calling them out "Ya Masriyy".) Plus I don't know how to ask who he was in Arabic without sounding rude.

On second thought, I do know. But it would be weird to ask him now, because since then, we will greet each other whenever we passed by when I commute through the dean's building. Even when I was walking with other people, he would only greet me.

I thought he looked like a patient in my 5th year OSCE and the patient I clerked in Surgery general class, but I doubt an administrative staff of the hospital was also a "chronic patient".

The most recent was today's afternoon. I saw him from afar but since I was not going to pass him, I decided to ignore. Two meters after I took the corner, suddenly he called out "Miss, miss."

I turned around, scanning. Grinned at him. "Assalamualaikum izzay hadhritak 3amil eeh, ma3assalamah.

I didn't stop walking though, but I didn't rush. I came across him that morning and I didn't stop walking either. It's an Egyptian thing to walk and talk, haha.

No comments:

Haru & Associates