بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Late night complaints

I'm not sleeping. I'm not sure whether it's because I can't sleep or because I don't want to sleep. And so you have me here, complaining about life in general.

Lately I'm having attention deficit issue. Perhaps it's worsening due to studying. I can focus a two-hour-plus class but I can't handle a half hour studying session. And when I do something else, my attention span is short too. Like I can't handle more than a minute of watching Youtube. I read online articles and I quit after 3 paragraphs. But I can write a whole post. This is an anomaly.

Next exam is Saturday and I need to hurry up my pace.. but you know me. Let's change topic.

There's this guy who does a lot of short stories and arts infused with Islamic values online named Muhammad R*sydi. I don't read his work because (1) they're in Malay and I need extra effort to read Malay, (2) it's supposed to be Islamic but actually they're sappy romance crap (3) and most importantly their logical level is subpar.

But one day, I decided to give him a chance.

It was about a Instagram-seller housewife cheating on her poor hardworking husband with the photographer of her goods. Finally she was going to ask for a divorce when she evesdropped her husband putting their son to sleep and she realised how much her husband loved her and their family. They made up and she apologized and repented.

So far it was good and I had no complaints, it even revived my hope in contemporary Malay literature. But then the wife did the unthinkable. She smashed her phone and broke her sim card in two after breaking up with her lover to prove to her husband she really is repenting.

The scene was so stupid I couldn't proceed to read the ending. I was like, dude what an overkill. So I commented with my insight.

"Story is good yadayada and I thank you for sharing it with us. Though I think you could use more realism. She's a online seller so she probably use an S3 at least. That phone can block contact and WhatsApp also has the block feature. No need to be such a drama queen."

There stood proudly my logical comment. Among an ocean of "That's so touching", "I cried", "Thank you for such a lovely story", and "(tag spouse's name) you have to read this" kind of comments. Umair didn't dub me AJK Teknikal for nothing.

The author replied me. "Let her be, she was being emotional."

And I was struck by how defensive he was of his work that showed his lack of professionalism. Like, where's my thanks for reading and actually leaving a constructive criticism? Heh. Btw she wasn't just being emotional, she was also being stupid. People should stop portraying females as brainless and emotional, because some are actually brilliant and rational. You don't amputate all cases of arterial injury, do you?

I vowed to never read his writings ever again.

No comments:

Haru & Associates