بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pejabat Tanah said so

While waiting for yesterday's clinical exam to start, us Kelantanese were discussing the flood back home. A classmate then asked me, "Why are you so involved? Are you a Kelantanese?"

We sort of had a moment of silence to appreciate the situation before I answered him dryly. "Dude we're batchmates since 6 years. Yes I am."

"How would I know. You don't speak Kelantan."

"No, I don't."

---

The only people in my generation who know I'm a Kelantanese are people from my primary and secondary school, people who met me in Kelantan, and people who know me well. Everyone else thinks I'm from Selangor or KL. They're not wrong.

I don't blame others. I don't even speak Kelantan with my orang kampung. Blame it on Meksu because I took it personally when she said during our first year here that I sounded Siamese, grr. Here in Egypt I speak Kelantan with Nik sometimes out of habit (she's the only one from my secondary school here), with Adakun sometimes because she's my housemate, and with Dhia because the boy doesn't reply me unless I speak English or Kelantan with him. Though really, it's getting disuse atrophy. Probably because I don't eat budu unless I have it served in my nasi kerabu.

But I assure you, I am a Kelantanese. It's where I call home and where I vote. And according to Pejabat Tanah, I am a Kelantanese because I've lived in Kelantan more than ten years (21 years now).

That is my last card to dispute people, but Umair had a big laugh when I used this. Hahah.

No comments:

Haru & Associates