So Surgery paper 1 was today. I was hoping Dr. Hussein would come visit us in the hall to cheer us up, but he didn't. Maybe because he felt he lost the privilege since he is no longer the dean or perhaps he's busy. I think he's busy. We love him and will always be welcoming and he knows that.
Back to the exam. It had a reputation of being a killer and I really was scared of the paper. It didn't help that I like Surgery more than I like Batnah plus the so many good memories I have of our Surgery classes, I really want to do well. Except I was, am, and probably will always be lazy. Ah, excuses.
I played out a lot of scenarios for the outcome of the exam. Will I walk out in tears? Will I be reminded of my Biochem first year viva where I so much wanted to throw myself into the Nile? Will I be singing CNBLUE's I Don't Know Why, I'm Sorry or Can't Stop after the exam?
Engku sitting on my right asked me as we waited for the exam to start. "What to do if you can't answer a question?"
"I will answer it with something else I know. If the question asks anatomy of some artery I forgot, I will write in the answer sheet anatomy of another artery I remember better."
He nodded.
That was my last desperate card for the day's exam. My principle is to never leave the paper blank. I don't want to disappoint the doctor thinking that his student knows nothing, because I do know something. It just happens to not be the one you were asking, can't be helped.
To be fair, I never purposely change the question in a written exam. But I did misread rabies as tetanus during my third year finals and diligently wrote down every single prophylaxis shit on that matter. It was at the end of answering that que after cursing such a long answer for only 4 marks before I realised I read the question wrong. But there's no way I'm changing my answer at that point. Ain't got no time for that, ain't got no ink for that, ain't got no space for that.
---
I received the question paper and read all the questions. First time in my exam life I read with a serious face, sitting straight up, ready to receive my punishment. There were some question on topics I completely forgot to study for (ingrown toe nail among others) but I decided to not give up and to attempt all questions.
Gave a small smile and started answering.
---
In the middle of the exam I was jolted up because I thought Dr. Raafat came to visit the hall. I nearly shot up from my seat turning to see who was at the door. It turned out to be Dr. Yahya Safwat. He's a soft-spoken nice chap despite his sharp gaze who taught us Burn lecture (I wrote a post on it, I'll link later) and vivaed my end round Surgery exam.
I like him, I want to grow handsome like him.
---
After the exam, I saw Ume venting to Pait how the exam was hard and all so I came near her.
"Hi Ume."
She ignored me and went on venting. I stood there for a while but she still ignored me so I got bored. I headbutted her arm and then walked away.
Outside the exam hall, I greeted a few friends, patted Syak's big baby bump ("Pray for me Syak. You sit for the exam with two brains you are sure to graduate with a mumtaz." "But the baby's brain isn't helping!") and saw Ume again.
"Hi Ume."
She glanced at me unamused. I headbutted her chest and walked away.
"Woi!"
Times like this I don't mind being shorter. Hahah.

No comments:
Post a Comment