You should be with people who bring out the best in you. People that simply by being in their presence inspires you to go out there and do something good. Their smiles are contagious, their aura intensify yours.
They could either be the people you learn from, people you work with, people you live with, people you hang out with, etc. Generally they are brave and patient people because it takes a lot to let/nurture people to be the best they are. Brave enough to let you grow within and beyond their possible power, brave enough to put their trust in your strength, brave enough to help you get back on your feet when you fall (and you will), brave enough to let you be the best of you.
I am not limiting this to the scope of positive people, thus you should be strong in a sense that even negative people will make you be a better person by learning not to be like them.
There was this Korean horror rom-com where the female lead could see ghosts and she kept her (dis)ability a secret from the people around her fearing that they would be repulsive of her. One colleague, this sweet guy named Candy Kang, said this when he wanted to get close to her:
"I'll be brave. You be strong."
They didn't work out romantically, but that scene was really.. Yeah. It teaches me the many shades of love.
And as a sign of gratitude, you should never take them for granted, keep doing your best and likewise be a person who brings out the best in others around you (perhaps to those negatives around you). This obliges you give more than just an ounce of care, be terrifically patient and to do your best in this department.
Sounds tough because it is, but trust me it will be worth it. If you can't believe me now, you'll believe me on your deathbed. Good luck, Hana.
---
I personally believe I am who I am because of such people in my life. My teachers now and then, university friends, seniors and juniors, secondary school friends, juniors and seniors, primary school friends, family members especially my parents who let me roam and learn for myself because they believe in what I can do. They are very patient with me (at my worst, I'm too difficult and very reckless) and I can't even imagine their bravery in the trust they put in me. I always imagine them deep down already readied their heart for me unintentionally hurting them or for a phone call with the worst possible news about me.
These are the type of people I am drawn to. All the fangirling that I do, all the professor-crushes I have, that one doctor I truly love and respect, that one guy I still hold on to despite the impossibles, and generally all the people I keep around me. Hehe.
And Umair. I think I write a lot about her lately. I don't really hang with her 24/7 or always sit next to her in class. There was once last week I even ignored her in class just because.
Me: (in class, headphone on, answered Nisa's question and then turned to my right) Did someone just call my name?
Ume: (smiling from her three seats down) I did.
Me: (toneless) What's up?
Ume: Nothing just felt like saying hi.
Me: (turned back to the front without missing a beat)
Ume: (smiling from her three seats down) I did.
Me: (toneless) What's up?
Ume: Nothing just felt like saying hi.
Me: (turned back to the front without missing a beat)
By default she probably went glaring at my back, biting her lower lips with her hand up in the air ready to smack my head. She didn't hold it against me nor delete me from her circle of close friends because "I'm aware of your idiosyncrasies" and regardless of our distance, she always amazes me with her level of trust in me. I don't know why I am so lucky or why she is so nice. Maybe she's got a screw loose somewhere, haha.
Anyway. I hope such people will always be in my life and for the one I'm settling with for the rest of my future. And for me to be such a person to the people around me as well.
Tonight I'm humming Blue - Best in Me.

No comments:
Post a Comment