بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Useless and absent-minded

I ruined my spectacles frame yesterday. I think it happened while I was tossing around on the makeshift bed pretending to study. I don't usually wear my specs at home despite everything more than a meter is all fuzzy, thus my specs is pretty much anywhere I took it off after coming home and forget about it until I need to go out.

I only have one functioning specs and that is how I treat it. Such terrible owner.

So the left arm was bent and the right nosepad was completely twisted from facing medially to posteriorly. I only realised it after Plastic class yesterday after it repeated falling off and my clear view was askew annoyed me too much.

Stuffs like this happening makes me think I am uselessly absent-minded. What is going on up there, brain?

So today I didn't wear my specs to class. Went to the Ophthalmology outpatient clinic to get a new prescription and it was only a simple computerised see-the-tiny-house-in-the-middle-of-the-field test and looking at the Snellen chart (I failed the second row, sigh) without those changing red-blue lenses. Went to Plastic class, went to Tabba and chatted up with Roy. She said Musyi got a photogray glasses for LE120 in Madinat Nasr years back. Sounds promising. I was thinking of a LE200 budget.

I returned to Mounira at 9 plus. Went to the nearest optometrist and asked him if he could fix my specs for me. He said yes but I need to leave it there and pick it up tomorrow.

"Fine. How much is a new specs by the way?"

"Depends on the lens. Yours is plastic and anti friction, yes?"

"Yes plastic and whatever that is, I believe so."

"It's LE90."

Oh that's cheap. "What about those lense that changes colour in the sun?"

"Photogray? It's LE200 plus for plastic and LE150 for glass."

Still cheaper than Malaysia. I made one two years ago costed me a good RM450 sobs and sadly only lasted a year use because I changed prescription sobs sobs.

"May I see the frames you have?"

He showed me a bunch and we small talked while I chose a frame. Kept thinking what would Umair say if I chose this or that. I finally settled on a lavender of similar frame to my bent maroon ones.

He wrote the bill. "LE150 for the photogray. LE185 for the frame. Total of LE335."

Ano ojisan, I thought the LE150 is inclusive of frame.

"This is my best price I give you because you're a student and a nice kid."

That didn't sound very convincing. Should I skip all the new specs thingy? But I need a new prescription glasses and I don't want to waste time going to another optometrist but the price is nearly a month worth of lunch money. If I don't eat lunch, I'll get restless in the lecture hall and you'll see a squirming girl in the front row of the hall. My parents will declare I was adopted!

If Umair was here, what will she tell me to do?

You won't always have Umair and you need to take care of your own purchases yourself, miss. Be a grown lady for once.

"I don't have that kind of money. Could you change it to those normal lense without the photogray?"

"It will be LE90 and total cost of LE275."

That's still 75 over the ceiling and after that talk with Roy, I had my hope high that I could get away with LE150. Sigh.

"That's plastic, right. How about the glass?"

"Plastic is better and more durable."

He had a good point. I tend to throw my specs around so it's either I stop being a monkey or get a durable lense that won't crack. The former seemed impossible, monkey will always be monkey. I said okay.

He added another LE10 for my bent specs repair. I paid my bills in full, said my thanks and walked home in the fuzzy, rather dark outside, feeling stupid for choosing lavender. What the hell was I thinking. Lavender?? That sounded like some My Little Pony fag.

If Umair was there, she would have disapprove of my lavender frame, dragged me out of the shop after paying only LE10 for the specs repair and sign me up for LASIK.

No comments:

Haru & Associates