بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Let's get along

One time we went to a surgeon friend of dad's house-warming party. Mom went to the lady of the house to introduce herself because it was their husbands who were acquaintance. She said her name, dad's, and where she works at.

The lady was surprised. "So you must know Dr. X? He's my brother."

"Yes, we work together."

"I am sooo sorry on his behalf," and they both laughed knowingly.

Turned out said doctor was known to be rather tactless in behaviour. I am also rather tactless in behaviour, so it made me thinking perhaps there will be a moment when any of my family will apologize to outsiders for having been acquainted with me.

---

Umair and Fatima came to our house for the first time mid-July last year. I just arrived in Kota Bharu from Egypt that morning after sleeping on the couch in KLIA last night, so the tiredness was blamed for my inability to recall what happened during that time. Umair until today will make reference to that day, how Maru was cutely referring himself as Maru to everybody

Ume: Maru dah mandi?
Maru: Belum. Maru mandi bila mama suruh.
Mama: Maru pergi mandi!
Maru: (merangkak ke tandas)

how James was the silently obedient kid who came down for iftar to our dining table at the kitchen, but mom shooed him to go eat with dad at the dining table in the hall in front.

How my mom was such a beautiful nice lady, motherly and womanly (insert all sugary descriptions here) and thus subjecting me to "Hana cuba kau behave dan jadi macam mak kau punya la keperempuanan tapi anak dia sorang ni isk3" by Umair each time afterwards that I behave like a monkey.

Well I don't remember any of those, those were accounts from Umair. It made me wonder what did mom said to Umair on their first encounter. I imagined it went something like this:

Ume: Saya Umairah. Saya sekelas dengan Hana.
Mama: Oh ini la Umairah. Terima kasih la berkawan dengan Hana, dia ni buas sikit. Makcik minta maaf. Haha.

(--.)

---

Back to that party. (Now that I am writing this, I remember it was on the same day of Aisyah and Damak's wedding, and that we went there afterwards.) There were loads of surgeons, HOs and MOs of Hospital Kuala Krai attending. Mom and dad were chatting with a group of Hospital Kota Bharu's surgeons and they introduced me to them.

"When she goes working HO in surgery department, please teach her well," dad said to Dr. Y.

"Oh, future junior. I'll have my eyes on you. Get ready to be belasah-ed," Dr. Y declared as he locked his eyes on me. "Your mom was the staff nurse when I was a HO, consider this payback."

The group including mom laughed. I cringed. Ha..ha..ha..

"Just kidding. Kak Zai was really helpful."

Anyway, I know my mom is a bloody good nurse. And my dad is a bloody good doctor. Gaah I don't like it when people know who my parents are, the expectation is... urgh.

No comments:

Haru & Associates