Naturally, I like Emergency. I like the rush of making the right decision. I like the adrenaline. And I know somewhere I have the knack for this branch.
Our first day was with Dr. Yahya Faiz (I think that was his last name) filling in for some big-shot professor who was abroad. He taught us coffee-talk style of Primary Survey and brought us for round. It was fun and informative. I like him because he asked for and tried to remember our names. And he made effort to ensure we were aware of the syllabus that was apparently up on the secretary's office wall, unnoticed to everyone.
He was present on the last day which I skipped and this conversation took place.
Dr. Yahya: Let me remember your name. You are Nur (referring to Ara)?
Dijah: Erk no.
Dr. Yahya: Hana?
Dijah: Haha, no.
I was flattered when Dijah told me and felt bad for skipping. It never turns out well everytime I skip on purpose.
Third day was with Dr. Ahmed Maher who is a friendly kind chap and remembered us students tagging with the ward round. Even when the resident presented the brief history in rapid Arabic and the other big-shot consultant managed the case without so much as glancing at us, Dr. Ahmed will take his time to brief the case afterwards to us, making quick concise notes that are beneficial for our quick-thinking and viva. He showed us how to read a CT, differential diagnosis for most of the case, management at admission, problems in management of a case and more.
All that, while keeping up with the doctors procession that had moved to the next patient.
Otherwise, Emergency rotation at Department 5 of Kasr el Ainy is the most frustrating with its stupid management and no-respect for us students. We had Emergency rotation supposedly for two weeks of classes, but we only had four days of ward round that I skipped two of it (at crossroads like this, I choose to sleep). And we only have that four days after we complained to her highness vice dean and she called the head department on the spot.
Apparently ward rounds are the best of the department's ability. The Head needs to take responsibility and resign for his managerial failure.
We had Emergency exam today. We waited on the floor an hour for whichever professor going to disgrace himself off his busy clinical and surgical obligations to examine us for 5 measly marks. A doctor came, complained of his colleague who he was filling in for, and hoarded us to the lecture room upstairs.
He sat down, wrote three MCQs on an A4 paper and told the secretary to make photocopies. He plugged in his earphones and made a call to his colleague who was supposed to give us the exam today, complaining loudly. He then left the room.
No interaction with us whatsoever. Thanks doc, your scowl very much brightened our day.
And the questions were... I wish they would fucking teach us those in the class. I'm not exactly the bookworm type who will study the textbook. I learn and remember from the classes I attend and the things I was teached, that's why I try my best not to skip classes. But when the doctors didn't attend and I couldn't answer well because of whatever.. it was downright heartstabbing. I was so angry I nearly cried.
They are so busy saving lives they couldn't take time out to teach us how to save lives. Bullshit.
When Facebook asked me what was on my mind, I answered:
Evacuate the patients.
Make sure Dr. Yahya and Dr. Ahmed Maher are not in the department.
Lock the secretary in her office.
Set fire to the department.

No comments:
Post a Comment