بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Maybe it's common for foreigners to be assaulted nowadays

Friday evening, just after arriving back to my place with a backpack and a bag of groceries, I realised I left my tote bag with my shirts at the grocer. Argh. I went out ten minutes to breakfasting time and speed-walked to the grocery at the edge of Mounira to get it back. I brought only my keys with me.

Hurry, hurry, oh I wish I have a bicycle, hurry, why la already 24 still be this careless, turn into the corner by park, two guys were standing chatting, walked pass them, a group of teenagers guffing in front of the mosque, walked pass another guy...

Bam. It hurts!

A flood of thoughts gushed through me as I turned around from my left, clutching my aching left renal angle. It felt like a baseball just hit me. I heard the group of teenagers snickering. Don't tell me the guys behind me were playing catch with them disregarding the fact I was walking through.

I saw a rock the size of my fist rolling away and my frown deepened as the pain turned throbbing. God this is going to bruise bad. The two guys I passed simply glanced at me as if it was normal to see a girl got hit by a rock out of nowhere. Who the- God this really hurts. Somebody just threw a rock at me. I did nothing wrong, I was just passing through this street! And I passed through this same street when I got home from the grocer earlier!

My eyes went straight to a row of cars by the park. Somehow I felt like the person who threw the rock at me was hiding behind it, but I saw no one. The guy behind me was looking there, too. "Someone crazy.." He said. His English was broken, but I caught on.

What should I do? If it was a crazy person, I cannot blame him nor kick his ass. If it was a non-crazy person, I don't want to risk not winning against him. And it hurts, I want my bag and I want to lay down.

This is pointless. An eye for an eye makes the world blind. I was fasting, few minutes to Maghrib even, I cannot lose my temper. I walked away speedily, face contorted in pain and bottling anger, still clutching my renal angle. God the bruise. Should I worry about my kidney?

And those teenagers were still looking amused. Nobody bothered to ask whether I was okay or went to restrain the thrower. Maybe because I could still stand straight, I wasn't profusely bleeding, my face was contorted in pain and bottling anger instead of crying like a Sisi. And violence is so common nowadays for them, if it wasn't me hit by that rock, it could have been one of them. Regardless the fact I am a female and they were all guys, I'm just a foreigner, alone even, doesn't deserve further attention.

A community of trash. No Hana don't be a sweeping-generalizer, we still love our Egyptian professors. I turned the corner to reach the grocery. Tahya Masr my ass. Poor Mother Egypt, poor Mother Egypt.

I went to retrieve my bag. The Egyptian shopkeeper smiled at me, I smiled back. And took the other route home.

P/s: Paravertebral muscle is bruised, still tender. Can't lay on my back without feeling mild tenderness. Pulse is normal. Talked the drama kid out of going for a radioisotope kidney scan, lulz. Let's thank God and Raya food for perinephric fat.

No comments:

Haru & Associates