بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

When the heat gets to you

The light is a source of heat and I kept glancing at the ceiling multiple times glaring back the glare of light it bestowed me, so I closed my books and shut the lights off. I prefer darkness anyway. Opened the window above the bed as wide as it could and laid down to sleep. It was already two in the morning.

As I laid there looking straight up, I realized the wide open window posed an entry point for would-be thieves. Umair's place was on the fourth floor with a balcony outside and the roof above. I can see the taller building across from here. It would be too easy for anyone to break in if they want to.

But the night was too warm for my liking and Umair's fan was a poor excuse for a fan, if I close the window I would suffocate. I decided to risk a break-in than squirming in my sleep from the heat.

So now we need a protocol should a thief really trespassed through the window.

He would have to cross over my sleeping body and most probably joustle the bed, if even just a bit. I would reach for my knife beside the pillow and aim for his groin as it would be the widest vulnerable area closest to me. He would fall, I would subdue him, yell for Umair and she will scramble awake because she is a light sleeper and probably severe his femoral if he still struggles. The girls would alert the landlord in the apartment across who will alert the police. Call the nearest ikhwah for the sake of it. I would have to go to the police because penetrating wound is always with killing intention and thus treated as a crime. And Umair will hate me for getting blood all over her newly-bought mattress.

Protocol affirmed. I took my Swiss knife out of my beg and pulled the largest knife out. Placed it beside my pillow and read my before-sleep prayers. If worst comes to worst I'll fork out the money for a new mattress.

---

The next day, I woke up and saw the window still wide open and nothing amiss. Glanced at my knife undisturbed by the pillow. I pocketed it back close and safe inside my bag.

"I was surprised to see your knife out opened like that. What were you doing?" Umair asked while sipping coffee.

"Just in case a thief comes in. I left the window opened widest last night," I grinned proudly.

She gave me an incredulous look.

No comments:

Haru & Associates