I entered 3 Sabar, armed with the stuffs I planned to teach today.
Hazim, Ikbal and Atiq were out carrying books for Muallimah Sakina. Seeing the absent of class monitor, I told Khairuna to have the class to stand up before I greet my salam.
None came. The class was akin to a sardine-packed fish market. I glared the whole class and spotted the remaining prefects, Raimi and Anis, both chatting their way to Broadway.
Grim. No respect for teacher, now, have we?
"Raimi," I addressed the constantly grinning prefect. "Please ask the class to stand up."
He gestured a wait sign at me, as he listened to Sadiq's chatters. I was furious.
The more furious I am, the quieter I become.
"Raimi." My tone was low.
He glanced at me, but still his ears all over Sadiq.
"Raimi." Dangerously low.
Still repeated the same reply. I noisily pulled out the teacher's chair and crossed my leg at the front of the class. "Let me know when everyone will shut up and stand straight."
Hands crossed. Finally Raimi stared at me with a distant look etched upon his face.
The door opened and Hazim, Ikbal and Atiq came in. Hazim took his seat and I immediately stood up. "Hazim, please ask the class to quiet down and stand straight."
He turned around and did so. Half obliged. "Hussain and Majdi still aren't doing so, Hazim."
Hazim looked helpless. It was the last straw.
"What is it with you guys?!" I barked with my kawad voice. "Khairuna told you guys to shut up, but you guys didn't! The class monitor wasn't in, that's why I asked of her and the prefect! Even better, you guys ignored Hazim's order! Why elect him as the monitor if you guys won't listen?!"
"Teacher, I wasn't in!" Ikbal called out defensively.
"I know you weren't." I restrained the urge to shot daggers at sheepish Raimi.
"So it was Raimi." Ikbal piped out. I ignored his comment and proceeded to greet my salam in spite of the remaining chatters.
I let them sat and Raja turned towards me. "Teacher, Raimi said you were nearly blowing up."
I glanced at Raimi. He looked guilty.
I dismissed the act and started the class with only 1/5 of enthusiasm left.
Later...
"All stand up and quiet down, or I won't step in the class."
The class of 3 Amanah scuttled towards their seats and obliged. I glanced around seriously.
"Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarokatuh."
"Waalaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarokatuh."
"Before any of you sit down, straighten up your shirts, shoes and kopiah."
They did as they were told, albeit with some buzzing at the back.
"Irfan!" I frowned. "Did I tell you to walk around and chat?"
He grinned sheepishly and stood back at his seat. I turned around and saw a somewhat startled Zharfan with the duster on his hand.
"I want to clean up the whiteboard."
"Thanks, but let me do it." I softened my gaze and lowered my voice. "Go back to your seat, Zharfan."
I walked commandingly towards Aidil and Harith as they inserted their shirts into their pants. "Teacher, do you like 3 Sabar better than us?"
"Hmm?" I blinked. I never saw that one coming. "What makes you say so, Aidil?"
"You always treat them to ice cream." Mursyid said.
"When is that?" I was wary. The most recent was during recess. My God, they saw that one?
"Last week or so. At the library." Aidil replied.
"Well, we had a quiz during that time, that's why the treat was on me." I sighed inwardly and expressed a genuine smile. "If you like, we could have a quiz this week."
"Sure!" The whole class chirruped.
"It's a deal. Now sit down, everyone."
3 Amanah really made me think. I am their homeroom teacher, I should be favouring them instead of the wild bunch of Sabar, right?
All this time, I almost always let the guys of 3 Sabar off my hook. Laughing instead of frowning. Only today was an exemption.
I am stricter with 3 Amanah and 2 Amanah than I am in 3 Sabar. Teachers never favour students. It's unethical.
Raimi and Ikbal are prefects. I was since nine, so instinctly, I have high regards for leaders.
3 Sabar are a bunch of brilliant kids. Each has tongues enough for ten sets of teeth.
3 Amanah are a bunch of determined kids. I can see in their eyes they really wanted to learn. They're just weren't motivated enough.
And I am strict to motivate them. Believe me, I just want them to be better disciplined. Be strict and they shall learn. Lavish them with projectile praises. Correct their mistakes and never to deter they spirits.
Remind them with well-placed smiles that mistakes happen, just be sure to learn from them.
Don't rush in your writing. We have time to raise our bar.
Nak seribu daya, tak nak seribu dalih.
I suppose, inwardly, 3 Amanah is closer to the heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment