بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Bias

We don't routinely screen for a disease that we haven't got a treatment for. It reminds me of information bias, whereby further information won't change the course of a management.

---

Before writing down my name on the exam sheet, I will ask my neighbour "What date is today?"

Today Baher scoffed at me after answering.

"Sorry. It seems information are getting overriden. I've forgotten many of our colleagues' name."

I think that's also why I take few seconds during the exam to pray for the people I see in my view. To remind myself of my comrades' name. Haha.

---

Dr. Hussein stood in front of Adakun's seat when he greeted the doctors in the hall today. He was wearing green with white narrow stripes. I saw him shaking hands above Adakun's table and sat there shocked at her simply answering her exam like nothing happened.

Back home I confronted her about it.

"Not fair! Dr. Hussein stood in front of your seat! And you did nothing!!"

"Oh," she seemed unfazed. Haru was going mad What is this ingrate? "I looked up and then carry on writing."

"Argh! If it was me I would grin and greet him Sir how are you, pray for us, have a good day!"

They laughed at me. Man. They need to love Dr. Hussein more.

---

Yesterday it was only us four superseniors for dinner and as usual we ate in the tray. We finished eating and nobody raised from the makeshift table. I was sucking on a piece of tomato. Tasnim was idling. Jiha was scraping bones to a side.

Adakun was drawing circles on the tray. She broke the silence without looking up. "Want to lat-tali-lat to decide who does the dishes?"

It was a first. Usually someone would just volunteer somehow and carry the tray back to the kitchen. Although the day before it was me, as I sucked on my tomato I did entertain doing the day's dishes.

Tasnim quickly agreed and we all raised our hand. Tasnim called.

"Lat tali lat, tam plong!"

Three palmars and one dorsum. The dorsum was Adakun. I laughed the loudest, childishly pointing a finger at her.

"Bet you proposed this because you didn't want to do dishes right?" Tasnim said.

"Aaah! I knew it was going to be me!"

No comments:

Haru & Associates