I don't know how the dinner conversation turned to this, but my mom told me while doing dishes "cari la sorang" to which my dad put his arm around my shoulder and said
"Find a partner. So that you wouldn't be lonely."
But dad, I'm not lonely.
Which reminded of when Dr. Luqman asked me if I'm going to be one of those old, single, never been married consultants. I said no.
"I understand the need for marriage, I understand the need for procreation. And I know any kids of mine will be awesome-
"Will be awesome, ye?"
"-and given the right partner our kids can take over the world."
"That sounds-"
"Grandiose, yea?"
When I told him my parents seemed a little reluctant at my eagerness to continue in Surgery, he asked me to elaborate.
"Maybe because I'm planning my career but not my life as a whole."
"Explain."
I sighed, I was not keen to breach this topic actually. "I think they want me to get married. If I want to, I can just tell them. My mom already has a calon."
"Don't you have someone in mind?"
"No." Truthful. But then I laughed. "I'm not straight."
"You mean?"
"Haha this is just an excuse."
"Are you bi?"
"No." Girls are difficult to handle. On any given day I'll choose to hang out with guys for this simple reason. "I guess I'm asexual."
We continued our conversation and he explored my philosophy on love which I semi reluctantly shared. He's a good company because he listens and has the capacity to understand, but it's unnerving when he does that without actually sharing back his insight. He later concluded
"No wonder you're asexual."

No comments:
Post a Comment