بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Monday, March 12, 2012

PD James

It passed a point where I no longer ask what you would say or expect anything to be said, because I think I know what you would say anyway, and the fact that I shouldn't even be asking what you would say in the first place. It's legally wrong.

So here I am, having a conversation with myself where I am assured of a witty companion. Hehe.

Don't worry about me, I haven't gone insane yet. I read in a psychological journal that it was okay monologuing as long as I'm not hearing another voices along. Or maybe it was something I picked up from Bruce Willis's The Sixth Sense.

There's also that tinge of hope that something like this would have happened, but it's too far of a long shot and despite having entertained the idea when I needed company, I feel content with where I am right now and the status I hold.

She said sadly, "I suppose I did know what you'd say, and I should have been able to explain it to her myself. I'm sorry I came. It was a wrong decision."

She had got to her feet and, rising, he came towards her. He said, "I can't be sorry for any decision you make which brings you to me."

Emma and AD in The Private Patient, page 388

---

I have recently taken up reading paperback fictions, PD James's The Private Patient being my current read in between diving into my daily obligations. Other quotes I find illuminating of the human nature are:

"Hatred doesn't die but it loses some of its power. It's like an infection in the blood, never completely lost, liable to flare up unexpectedly but its fever becoming less debilitating, less acutely painful with the passing years. I'm left with regret and a lasting sadness."

Candace Westhall to Commander Adam Dalgliesh, page 336

"Now I know the truth insofar it can be known, and I think I understand why she did it. Or is that too arrogant a claim?"

"To know the truth and to understand it? Yes, with respect, Commander, I think it is. An arrogance and, perhaps, an impertinence. How we scrap around in the lives of the famous dead, like squawking chickens pecking at every piece of gossip and scandal."

Commander AD and Phillip Kershaw, page 466

No comments:

Haru & Associates