We walked into the alley and it forked into a left and right turn. The right one seemed to be going uphill; the best bet for us if we want to be on the right track to Albayzin. As the one ahead, I waited for everyone at the junction before turning the corner.
There was a man in dark hair and dark clothing pacing nearby. He eyed us for a moment and I felt chilled, perhaps we should kept going hurriedly?
He paced nearer and greeted in his deep voice, "Assalamualaikum."
I smiled happily and greeted back. "Waalaikumussalam." Here's a brother, yay!
"Where are you from?"
"We're from Malaysia."
"Are you going to Albayzin, see the mosque?"
"Si," I nodded and gestured, "Go here, right?"
"Si. Todo recto."
"Okay, todo recto." That means go straight.
He hesitated and continued the rest in Spanish word by word. "Ir a la dezquita."
"Okay.." I mumbled, paying attention.
"Subir la escalares," he motioned with his fingers to walk upwards. I've seen enough signboards to know escalares means stairs. And then he smiled. "Ask for Mirador San Nicolas."
"Mirador San Nicolas," I parroted. "Okay. Straight, left, stairs." I smiled. "Muchas gracias."
"De nada," he nodded and resumed waiting quietly by the street. We girls continued our journey. I was pitifully hiding a giddy grin.
"Muslim lady in hijab is easily recognizable. I like it best when we meet people by the road and give salam to each other," I smiled to Umair walking closest to me.
Felt so loved, don't you agree? Walk anywhere on this earth and meet different people and despite differing in races and nationalities, the one thing that makes us family is our one and only faith in Allah.
"He's got the sujud mark on his forehead," Umair piped out.
"Yup. He's very handsome." The giddy grin broke out.
"Yes." Umair was using her tone reserved for apprehending a sengal me. "And he's got the sujud mark on his forehead as well."
"I said he's handsome after considering every aspect." Most importantly he had the decency to greet a fellow Muslim when he recognizes one. He was also older and easy on the eye- I slapped myself.
We climbed the steps with happy thoughts.

2 comments:
let's nurture this in malaysia mitusi~
ok. mitsui, spelling error there. hahah
Post a Comment