Not only to learn medicine, but learn to become a better person yourself. You never know if you live that long to learn everything one at a time.
"How can patients teach us to become a better person?" you may ask. This brings us to my next point that I shall start with rambling off a story (as always).
---
We have several doctors teaching our clinical sessions and the most notable of them are Dr. Y, Dr. M and Dr. B.
Suffice to say that Dr. Y and Dr. M are very helpful and kind to us sometimes-clueless-but-nevertheless-budding doctors, as oppose to Dr. B who reminds me of Alex O'Laughlin playing Steve McGarrett in both his smoking good looks and the infinite psychotic arrogance (read: cool and annoyying).
But when it comes to interacting with patients (in front of us, at least), Dr. B has the friendliest attitude compared to his other two colleagues. He was smiley and shoulder-patting and our 50-year-old patient Haj Ibrahim* who had BPH and retinal detachment was happy with him.
Dr. Y and Dr. M sometimes used harsh tones when instructing the patients and you can hear murmurs among the classmates disapproving of such. Mind you, most of our patients are geriatrics and you're supposed to treat them with the respect and kindness old people -if not another human being- deserve.
But there's also the thing with Egyptians; they have a higher tolerant to harshness than us Malays so who am I to judge? A punch good enough to send you knocking on the sideway for the Egyptian is the equivalent to a friendly pinch on the cheek for us Malays.
---
Prof. Dr. Omar Elzawahry gave us the lecture of Errors of Refraction and also this piece of wisdom.
"Not all surgery are good. Some are devised to bring the doctor money. Don't do this. Or you're not a good Muslim. #smiles
You have to be honest. Don't do to a patient what you won't do to yourself, or your kids or your mother. Treat you're patient like your immediate family member."
---
*This was my second case and I will never forget this incident ever. Dr. B sort of poured salt on the gaping wound of my ego and argh I'm intellectually dying as I wrote this. At least he made me study harder, I'll give him credit for that and despite the apparent complaint, it pains me to admit that I really Thank You God for him as one of my lecturer.
#ihavebigegotoo

No comments:
Post a Comment