It was Luqman. He asked for a favour. Sure what's up.
"Pick me up at Inanam. I sent my car for service."
"Okay send me your location." I was gonna just wash my face throw some fresh clothes and head out.
"Wait. Are you even up?"
"I got up from your call." I could see his face thinking useless kids he has to deal with.
"You pick up fast." Well I thought it was mom calling. He is assigned my family ringtone. "Go take a shower first."
So I took my shower, put on a pair of jeans, a long sleeved ratty tee, threw my parka on and my worn out Crocs. I was just picking him up and send him back, right? I can get back to bed after that.
I did wonder why he didn't just call a Grab. I would. I once walked an hour in the rain from the mall to home because my parents were working, I didn't want to call him, and I was distrusting of cabs.
Of course, the answer was he planned for us to go merayap. He told Mizah to park at his place and we took my car. I asked him where to.
"Penampang."
Penampang is a huge ass area. "Penampang towards Tambunan?"
"Yeah."
I know that area and drove there without GPS. Luqman knew the area better and asked to stop at the next Shell to stock up on his cig. Throughout the day he smoked about half a pack in my car and honestly I had a headache from the stench (plus maybe because I was fasting) and my car reeked.
I hated the fact that my car reeked of cig and the fact that my headache might be at least 70% contributed by him smoking. I decided then I cannot marry a smoker.
Why didn't I complain? Because he's my brother. I tolerate shits from him just because of that fact. Anyone assigned as my family will get that kind of treatment from me.
I know, I'm a sentimental idiot.
"Lovely weather. So gloomy, depressing."
Well that kind of talk is typical of a recently stoned Luqman.
So we went up until my favourite area along Sungai Kibunut. I asked if we're going there. He told me instead to go straight, and take the left at the junction of Jalan Tudan Poring.
And then he took a nap.
Mizah wondered if we're heading until Tambunan. I said we're just midway. It's a day at Banjaran Crocker anyway.
The journey was beautiful. The ethereal view of heading into lush forest with cloud and mist limiting your vision. Add on a scary tune and it'd be straight out of a horror flick. The hilly slippery road was awesome. I had fun driving.
Our first stop was downward left at an ongoing tarring road. We stopped and admired the valley view. Luqman asked if I think my car can make it down and explore the road.
I said no I'm not risking it. The road wasn't completely tarred and it was still drizzling. The car can go down but God knows if my car can grip back up. I stomped my feet into the asphalt road and it gave way into mud, proving my point.
We then journeyed on and took another turn right. We were met with a Myvi parked and then a waterfall of a stream with rapid current covering a sorry excuse for a bridge. At the other end was a slope of a road upwards.
I didn't think we would make it, it looked deep and my car will be flooded but even if we do make it, if it rained more we're likely to be stuck at the other end. Plus as Mizah said, even the Myvi was parked. So we turned around and journeyed on.
And met the lower end of the previous waterfall.
We turned around, of course. Luqman suggested we try the first stop. Oh why not.
It was a fun ride downwards about 3km, easy despite the asphalt not yet setting in, until the end we were met with a bridge under contruction.
We had to turn around, of course. But I couldn't drive up. The tires didn't grip and the off rail light was blinking. Haha okay. Let's try again. I tried once to no avail, so we decided to park and go for a walk at the lower part to see what's there.
A stretch of rapid current next to an abandoned campsite. It was so cold and the toilet there was axed. I needed to pee so I did what I had to..
We regrouped at the car. The construction workers were getting on their Hilux and observed us. I stared at the slope and back at Luqman. He grinned at me and said we're just gonna have to walk up. I asked him what about the car to which he replied with a grin. Idiot. So I tried again.
Nope, not gripping. Luqman then came up to my window.
"They said you have to reverse."
"Oh okay." That's a first for me. Reversing up a slope.
"You have a lot of spectators. Don't disappoint us." And then he left to stand with the others.
I almost thought he would take over the wheels from me, like what Vicky tried to do last time. But this is Luqman, he lets me make mistakes, he rarely takes over and he'll dish out wisdom afterwards. This is why Luqman is family, he has a lot of faith in me.
Or maybe he's just stoned.
So I reversed the car. Prayed and hit my accelerator. What followed afterwards was one of the most fun driving experience I ever had. I was reversing up the slope so fast and so smoothly for about almost a kilometer before the slope plateaued and I could right the car. Luqman and Mizah were hitching behind the workers Hilux and they were left in my dust as I sped up the rest of the road.
Safe. The Hilux dropped the two of them and I waved them my thank. Mizah then told me one of the workers saw me at the driver's seat and he said
"Perempuan kah? Mataii."
I laughed. I'm proud of my car and me.
Later on our way back Luqman suggested I wash my tires at a nearby crossable stream. He said it was shallow and level suited for a Fiesta. We went there and I was aghast.
"This? You think my car can cross this??" Even from a far I can see it's deep and my car will be flooded if I cross this.
"Sure can. Trust me."
"I trust you but not this time. Look at that!"
"Cannn. My car can. It's shallow and it's even."
He drove a Land Cruiser. I gave him a stink eye and walked up to the water. It was fast and I had to roll up my jeans at the water edge and I can see it was deeper in the middle. I turned around back to my car and yelled my distrust. He came out grinning and to prove his point that it was shallow, started to wade into the water.
It was up his knee. This old fart.

No comments:
Post a Comment