17092020 on mom's birthday, I was doing my AM round while slouching at the counter. Dija then showed up and told me of her dream last night.
"Aku marah Miss Doon dalam mimpi. Kau oncall, pagi tu ada patient collapse. Aku terus teriak 'CPR sekarang!' dan cuma kau ja yang tolong. Miss tengok saja tidak tolong. Aku pun panggil dia. 'Miss mari sini saya mahu cakap.'"
I laughed at that incredible dream.
So Miss arrived and we did rounds. First patient this Y guy who has had 4 admissions this year alone for UGIB from NSAID abuse. The day before we did OGDS found a circumferential clot with F2A and 2B ulcers at D1. We transfused last night and today HB still dropping, but hemodynamically stable. We have to wait for PCR to send him over to HQE for distal gastrectomy but anyhow, move on to the next patient...
Then suddenly he fitted in front of us with the pungent smell of massive fresh melena.
Everyone automatically went towards the patient. Kamal held his arms to steady him down, Stephy was flattening the bed, Nabil was removing the bed ends, bla bla bla.
I was the only one who turned away from the patient to grab a box of gloves, wore some myself, then pushed the box to the others. Gloves up first guys.
I went to his head and secured his airway. Then I locked eyes with Dija who was securing another line.
"Dija kau mimpi apa malam tadi?"
It was rhetorical. She grinned back at me. Nasib baik collapse pagi ni, kalau collapse semalam penat aku sorang2 hahaha.
And Miss looked restless and her face screamed fucked. "We have to open him" she was muttering and I thought we're saving him from bleeding but this guy he either makes it or he's going to die from sepsis or leak.
Miss as in Dija's dream wasn't spearheading the resuscitation. She was busy thinking how to do the distal gastrectomy and calling up her superiors and looking up the textbook.
We resuscitated him and sent him for laparotomy. I remembered once his GCS was full and he was cooperative and orientated, I apologised to him for any wrongdoings because he's heading for a major surgery under not the idealest condition and I won't be around anymore. He apologised to me too.
He had biliary leak and still surviving in ward till today, now post op day 14.

No comments:
Post a Comment