During my call on Sunday, after finishing the night round, I went down to Orthobay to find my friend waiting in front of a young patient sitting up on the bed.
"What's up."
"Need to inspect the wound. Patient wouldn't allow me."
"Let's see." I put on my apron and approached the patient. He was moaning from pain. "Hi I'm Dr. Atiqah. What's your name?"
My friend answered and I laughed at her. "Let the kid speak, I was talking to him."
Kid told me his name while still moaning in pain.
I took short history to distract him. My MO told me this was a case of MVA with laceration wound over the heel but the heel was packed with gauze. We need to inspect it in order to plan what was next.
"I need to inspect your wound kid."
He screamed at me but I didn't even touch him yet. Spoiled brat. I went outside to look for his parents. His dad was there, very cooperative with me and scolded his son for not cooperating for his own sake.
Kid still wouldn't let us inspect the wound. We had plenty patient waiting outside. I offered sedation, got my MO's go ahead, but when I wanted to give it through his IV line kid screamed and pulled his hand away. He was strong for a twelve years old and half hour already wasted on this brat.
"That's it!" I raised my voice over his moaning. "You don't want us to help you, then you sit outside! This is an Emergency Room not for you to do as you please."
I wheeled his bed outside and left him in the hallway. I sorted out two others patients while his parents sorted him out. Only half an hour later did he allowed us to examine him.

No comments:
Post a Comment