Umair seems to be happy when she reads of my miserable moments, so let me share one just in case everyone else thinks I am gullibly happily working with no worries.
Today I was allocated to the OT. Our team rules regarding OT stated that:
1) the person going to the OT SHOULD NOT review patients in the morning in view of no one to properly present the case during AM round.
2) if s/he does review, passover properly
3) should the team were unable to answer to the specialists during round, don't give "orang yang review masuk OT" as an excuse.
So today I came to work and felt jobless. My teammate M was oncall last night and he looked busy and miserable. So helpful me went and asked him,
"What can I help with except for reviewing? I'm on OT duty today."
He looked at me thinking and said, "Just go and review."
"Okay..." And so I picked the nearest patient to me who I reviewed her post op yesterday. Day 1 post op bla3 currently tolerating orally well, throbbing op site otherwise tolerable pain bla3.
While I was reviewing, our team leader noticed me as he came to review the next bed.
"Eh? You're reviewing?" He looked surprised but maintained his happy face.
"Yeah I asked M if I could help with anything and he asked me to review."
"Alright. Passover to me."
I noted her dressing was stained with hemoserous, so I discussed this with A and he suggested for me to write the plan for the outer dressing to be changed and to leave the dressing to the nurses. It was 7am plus. Today's round will start at 9am so the nurses should have plenty time to carry out my plan, I have to go to OT before 8.
After I was done, I presented the case to him including my findings and my plan. "Would you prefer to examine the patient yourself?" I added understandingly.
"Yes," he grinned.
And then I went for OT. After the op was done, one of my MO came just out of the round and asked why didn't I passover the case I reviewed properly to my teammates. I asked her to elaborate more because I didn't understand what was going on.
"Boss was mad because the dressing was soaked. And M said the one who reviewed the case went into OT."
I felt grim. Wth was going on. Nice of you to turn on me like this when it was you who asked me to review and when there's no me to defend myself... nevermind. And what happened to A? I passed over to him.
"When I reviewed this morning, the dressing was not soaked. I noted she felt throbbing at her op site but no pain, and the dressing was stained not soaked. I planned for the outer to be changed and I passed all this to my teammate." Heck it was A who suggested for that plan. What happened to him and me passing the case over? Did it not happen?
"Ooh okay then. Just next time make sure the dressing isn't even stained when the boss comes for round. They don't care how many times you change the dressing."
"Okay doctor."
And I felt grim the whole day. I realized what kind of person M was and I thought never mind him, what is important is that I never do such a thing to my colleague. And I don't want to be a person who wouldn't help him in the future just because of what he did. I will treat everyone nicely because I want to be a good person.
I finished my job at the elective OT and halfway back to the ward my phone connection returned (ACC building has the worst coverage in the whole hospital) and I realised one of my friend covered for me in the emergency OT. So I called him and told him I would go to cover his duty at his ward.
Done deal. I didn't want to go to my earlier ward and deal with M and A, but I went anyway to get my bag and water bottle. M and A were settling the post AM round job and didn't acknowledge me... and I didn't feel like either. But I still felt grim. I need a hug or sunshine sightings.. huhu where are the Green team when I need them?
I saw Fadzlin in the procedure room doing some form work and I went over to her.
"Zelin I need a hug."
And so she gave me a hug and asked why. I told her what happened and she said,
"Ahh. M. He did about the same thing to me yesterday. I got scolded by Dr. Ann because of him."
"What did he do?"
"Later I'll tell you. I need to go to the casualty." And off Zelin go after reassuring me. I went to the ward upstairs and silently settle loose jobs and PM review. Then I noticed A wrote in our WhatsApp group asking the morning OT person to cover Pofin who went in the emergency OT and stated,
"and make sure to review properly" plus his smiley face.
And I felt grimmer, haha... Basically he implied that I didn't review the patient properly. Never mind, I'm still learning and I am not as good as they are. I will learn and be better.
But what did I do wrong? I was too grim to ask them now and this was the sort of things to be dealt with face to face. Nevermind, I will go and review the BHT later after I was done with this ward.
When I went down later, the patient was already discharged.
---
I told this to dad but he only listened in silence while his gaze fixed on the TV he wasn't even watching. After I changed the topic to management of CDH only he replied me.
I guess I could never complain to dad. I should not complain to dad. This is just one of the things he probably faced and now it's my turn.
---
Anyway, the day ended nicely. I was reviewing some cases with K my other teammate and we were standing in the hallway. I saw Nasri coming and despite in a discussion, I turned to him just as he neared and clearly greeted him,
"Hai Nash."
"Hai Atiqah." I could hear his smile. And then I resumed discussing, noticing K's minute change in expression. But I don't care. It felt good to properly greet him, hahahaha.
And today I walked out of the ward with Wong my favourite house officer, Mr. Wong as we call him. He asked me again where did I live and I replied him,
"Lunde," with a grin.
"Ala I lupa Atiqah orang Kelantan, asyik ingat tinggal kat kuarters je."
I grinned. His response when he first realised I am a Kelantanese was "cis kurang asam, tak kecek Kelate pun!"
"Saya jiran Mr. Zuraimi, selang dua rumah."
"Yeke!" Wong lighted up. And he proceeded to ask how big was his house, what car he drives, what does his wife do, how old are the kids and ultimately how old was Mr. Z when he got married.
Hahahaha Wong is such a gossip monger.

No comments:
Post a Comment