Frankly, my family commenting about my unemployment state has taken its toll on me. It is no longer funny. Even nenek praying for me on this matter made me feel a little offended. Let's not even talk about today with the Perak side of the family who haven't seen me in two years.
At least they're not asking when I'm getting married.
It is never a good idea to be offended by people's good intention. I know I have no right to be offended when there are people who are faring worse than I am. It has only been what, three months since I graduated? I have met doctors who smiled knowingly (read: pitifully) and commented on my eagerness and that made me feel ashamed to an extent.
The other day we were shopping at H&M and I picked up a 50 ringgit shirt and proceeded to the checkout counter. Mom handed me a 50 ringgit bill which I declined, said to her that I have money. She frowned at me.
"Where you got money from?"
I stared at her. My unemployment is a fact so I can't really be offended by it (though I am now), but implying I have no cash because of that was quite a blow to whatever ego I have. I was tempted to say I got it from withdrawing from my bank account but we all know that's a lie. I am almost always too lazy to withdraw money; I'd rather be cashless and not spending.
So I reminded her that she had been passing me 50 ringgit bills the last couple of days despite full knowledge of my frugal shopping habit. Of course I still have money left.
She still offered me the 50 ringgit bill. I can't stop mom from worrying and caring, so might as well endorse that as a fact and be grateful about it. And go with her flow. I accepted her 50 ringgit and went to pay.
25 in a few months, graduated with no real documents, unemployed, living with parents... Alhamdulillah is in order.

No comments:
Post a Comment