بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

The drug dealer, lol

Stopped by the pharmacy on my way back from class. Took my phone out and reread the SMS from my roommate. She asked me to buy a topical cream for her. There were three other customers ahead of me so I waited behind them patiently. The owner who was sitting and leaving his one assistant to handle the three customers stood up at the sight of me and approached the counter.

"Aiwah?"

Wow I was special. "Assalamualaikum. 3andak (insert generic name of drug)?"

"3andi," he crouched down for the cream on the bottom shelf and handed it over. I read the label. Yup, that's it.

"Bikam dah?"

"Khamsah illa rub3."

I took out my coin pouch. LE4.75, dirt cheap.

"Do you have change?" Eh who spoke that. I looked up from rummaging for my change. Waah the owner speaks perfect English. "Because I don't have."

Situation like this always makes me awkward. Should I reply in English or Arabic? Polite to use the same language, right?

"Yes I have." I handed him five LE1 coins.

"I don't have rub3 either. I'll give you this." He handed me a yellow pill and said the name, but I didn't hear it. "It's for headace, backpain, joint pain.."

Joint pain, I'm not that old yet. I flipped the pill over and read the Arabic writing. "Ah ketoprofen." I laughed. "Okay, shukran."

"3afwan."

I chuckled to myself as I walked outside the store. Ketoprofen. I never took anything stronger than paracetamol because I mostly take my drugs unrelated to meal. Is ketoprofen actually OTC? This drug can cause peptic ulcer and needs to be taken with meal. He should be advising me this instead of listing the indications.

Oh well. The perks of being recognised as a medical student.

1 comment:

Maya Dealove said...

"Oh well. The perks of being recognised as a medical student."


Exactly. Hehe.

Haru & Associates