Writing this in 2012, I miss one part of Paris right now.
 |
| The Humpback of Notre Dame. |
I had just finished rounding up the Notre Dame and enjoying the street performance in front of it. Was walking by The Seine but the sun was too much and it was nearing lunch time so I skipped into the city in search for a halal eatery, opting to walk in the back alleys where it was cooler and the eateries offered cheaper alternatives.
Found a halal Greek stall and since the guy up front looked Arab to me, I asked for the menu in Arabic, hehe. Was in luck :D My lunch was an overflowing chicken Greek gyro sandwich.
 |
Grilled chicken, french fries, veggies, yogurt-like sauce wrapped in pita.
3 or 4 euros, I forgot. |
Where else to enjoy a good lunch in a sunny day rather than in one of Paris's beautiful gardens? Having spent a good deal of my morning at the biggest public garden in Paris (Jardin des Tuileries), I decided on the second biggest for my lunch. Tucking my lunch safely in my day bag, I took the Metro and dropped off at the Odeon station which was nearest to Jardin du Luxembourg.
 |
| Luxembourg Palace overlooking one of the many landscapes. |
 |
| La carte du Jardin du Luxembourg. |
Picked a bench overlooking the garden and ate my lunch happily with a limping pigeon and its flock staring expectantly at me, squirrels chattering by.
Half of it finished, I walked up ahead and enjoyed the in-garden orchestra.
 |
| It was a local school performance. I swear I jotted down the name but since it took me two years to really write about this, of course the name is lost now. Pfft. I'd check my travel journal this summer. |
I spent that day on foot alone. It's not something you're supposed to do in dangerous Paris because among the European cities we went, Paris was the least safest among them... which made it more exhilarating. Suicidal, but exhilarating. (I'm stupid and stubborn, I know.)
 |
| How this thing reminds people of romance, I don't know. |
At the end of the day, I met the crew back by The Seine at the designated time and ready to board the Seine cruise. Excitedly told Ara and Nisa where I've been and what I did but they weren't impressed that I ditched them.
 |
The dock where we were dropped off and our designated meeting place.
Just a little away from the Eiffel Tower. |
Boss Hairul was listening nearby. Earlier in the afternoon, we met at the Paris Mosque and he nodded his approval and commented it was good that I can be a tour guide myself when I told him I was walking around on my own. But that evening by The Seine, he gave me a rather disbelieved look once it downed on him that when I said I was "on my own", I meant I was 'alone'. He proceeded to reprimand me in a quiet voice.
Also that day I pocketed a stern warning from Abang Sam and Abang Khubaib, not to mention an earful from my seniors. I avoided Mak Cik Ani that day because she already threatened to tell my mom when she caught me wandering alone in Amsterdam. Hahaha.
But I would do it again anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment