بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Monday, October 04, 2010

Meet the Health Minister

Because I have finally submitted the report for our dinner with the Ministry of Health delegates, I feel compelled to comment about the event personally. Thank you to Safwan for editing the report, you are the bestest boss.

First, the outdoor setting was lovely. I like the wind and the freedom it represented, yet the dust was a bit too much to handle. Oh well, at least you know you're in Egypt.

Second, I was so happy they let us dine prior to the lengthy hour-long speech! Reminiscing on Dato' Pa's visit earlier last semester, I was edgy all through his speech because I was hungry :P (Yeah because students are generally cheapskates.)

Third, Dato' Seri Liow spoke fluent Malay! No accent, haha can I jump in joy? (Pardon me for being so shallow.) It is a nice change from talking to Kelantanese with their perfect accent thus their reason for mocking me. (Haha maaf orang-orang kampung, this is what I call loving banter.)

And here comes my disclaimer before I comment on the minister personally. I have no idea of knowing whether what displayed was his personality as a person or it was his personality as a politician.

Whatever it was, it left me with a good impression :)

He showed sensitivity to the culture by remembering that it was the 21st Syawal and greeted us with Selamat Hari Raya. And when he made his round from table to table, he did not hold his hands out to the girls yet he was the first to shake hands with the boys firmly.

Round the mulberry bush.

Also, he toned down his political inclination. Maybe it had to do with him being a Chinese speaking to a lawn-full of Malays, but what I can neutrally surmise was he spelled out government instead of the ruling party.

And in regards to his portfolio as the Health Minister and the presence of our very own bosses of all doctors in Malaysia, Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham, the Q&A's session was very fulfilling. We asked medical, we got answered medically. The last minister visit was a fall-out for me because I found his answers lacking the wisdom that came with knowing what you're talking about.

Let me explain. Last time, Abang Faizal asked about health tourism and medical engineering and we got a rather (read: very) bleak answer, I'd rather not discuss what the minister answered. This time, Marzuki and Amir Firdaus asked the same ques and Dato' Liow answered to my satisfaction.

Okay, I haven't been fair to Dato' Pa. Sorry Dato', but I'm a medical student thus my inclination is rationalized.

Okay, I have class in about six hours. Have nice days :)


p/s: I like to use this moment to apologize to Syafiq, Hani, Abang Hafiz, Safwan, Kak Fathy and Adilah for repetitively slacking off from the duties of the News Department. I will make amend this time around, insyaAllah, pray patience is around.

No comments:

Haru & Associates