بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Calmest Wins

We just had our semi-final debate and as predicted, we the audacious Ninja Turtles grabs the victory as the generous winner.

I didn't feel like elaborating much, just I wanted to point out several out of it.

I have never been involved in a debate prior to enrolling at OLC. In general, all I can conclude of a debate is that it is a place to express your thoughts diplomatically, to practice the freedom of speech and to seek in a different point of view the truth of a certain topic.

Whilst in court, you fight to seek who is right.

By all, the debate with the Barney was the most frustrating of all, thanks to their rebuttal, Ma'wa.

I never had any problem with him before, but him being the proposer of the 'PLKN should be made compulsory' topic was highly inappropriate since he was far from being diplomatic.

"And to think that you opposer are against the idea of National Service should be made compulsory is just disgusting!" And with that, he slammed his notes on the table.

The audience cheered.

Dr. Wan (our teacher and judge) smirked happily.

I frowned in disgust. Shouldn't he be dismissed for disrespecting the members of the debate?

His rebuttal speech was far too sarcastic, he was ridden with emotional and he kept jabbing his index finger towards each and every one of my team member.

When he got to his point of NS building confidence in students, he jabbed, "If you are confident, you wouldn't read your speech on text, or even exceed the five-minute time limit like you did last time, didn't you, Atiqah?"

I stared at him like a living brain donor. The crowd cheered.

When it was my turn, I was tempted with the idea of smacking these right on his face. "As a fellow debater, I am very disappointed with your rebuttal speech. You had not only managed to be uncontrollably emotional, but you had proven you are a loser the moment you mentioned 'disgusting' and smacked the table."

"Like, what the fuck were you doing; being emotional and rude and attacking of personal in an honorable debate? By right, you should be dismissed! Where is the relevancy of my time-exceeding be the yardstick of my confidence? For a stupid man, you sure are the stupidest!"

"If you have a personal vendetta with me, I'm free to settle this outside; be it verbally or fist-to-fist! You are disgusting."

I was taught to be diplomatic in every situation, since the calmest of all wins. And so I did calm down, and pointed out bit by bit of my opinion.

I've been a very fiery person though a logical one at that. I know that a man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. No point in debating if you didn't manage to instill your idea in your opponent. Even if you win, you will still lose if you fail to do so.

Our team won, btw. I hope tomorrow's will be a lot better and more diplomatic than today's.

No comments:

Haru & Associates