Tough. But I went to Radio and asked them anyway. Dr S was in charged of CT that day and this was more or less on urgent side so I requested from him.
He asked when was the operation planned because it was unfair to request on such a short notice. He was busy and he told me to ask other radiologist who will be willing to grant my request.
I thanked him and went to find Dr. Dian who was in charged of appointment. I presented my case and Dr. Dian and Dr. Teh who was nearby explained to me why my request wasn't indicated.
Osteosarcoma goes to the lung, that's why they only did CXR follow up and proceeded with CECT thorax when they saw that lung mets. If the primary team has always followed the case up with femur xray and they suspected recurrence, they would have requested an MRI femur. Unnecessary imaging will only bring doubts to your management. Somemore we're the referred team, it was Ortho and Onco being primary for this patient.
Dr. Dian was per her usual chatty self explained to me while Dr. Teh calmly elaborated on her explanation and they suggested I discuss back with Mr Mughni.
I went back to my boss and he accepted their explanation. Ms Hazlina said we requested because we're thorough and only wanted to help since the primary didn't request.
Anyway we did our operation for the kid and post op Onco came and requested a completion CT abdomen pelvis for him. I am still confused haha.
What stuck with me from all this was how kind the two Radiologists were. They rejected my request and explained why it was not indicated. Granted osteosarcoma is not my expertise and they helped me understand their viewpoint. It was a contrast from the first Radiologist who was silently annoyed and just brushed me off.
That fellow week I had an appointment for a contrast enema to request. It was just before lunch break, I walked into Radiology and saw Dr. Teh sauntering around looking jobless haha. I greeted him and actually walked towards the board to see who was in-charged of Appointment but he asked me what I needed. I presented my case briefly and he signed my request form.
It was so easy. It has always been easy to work with him. Later on I Googled him and found he's a senior lecturer and HOD of Radiology at UMS doing his fellowship in Paeds Radiology. What a befitting title.

No comments:
Post a Comment