بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Name-calling

My kid siblings mischievously call each other names a lot. Maru calls Melle "bún" short from "arnabun" which is a poor but funny jab at Melle's teeth.  Sometimes he outright calls Melle "arnab". This leads to Melle retaliating back with "baby" which he deserves because I am never an advocate of physical jestering.

Calling Maru "baby" can be traced back to me since I've been calling Maru that since he was born. Nowadays he gets exasperated whenever we call him that but unless he shows maturity and responsibility, the name is here to stay.

Recently Melle has been calling Maru "bimbo". I laughed like mad when I first heard that name and that stopped the two in their cat fight, amused at my sudden lapse into insanity. I asked Melle if she knew the meaning of bimbo.

"No. What does it mean?"

"It means pretty but dumb." And we all cackled like mad, Maru not so enthusiastically.

Just now the two were at it again. Maru called Melle "arnab" which led to Melle jabbing back with a "bimbo". Dad joined the fight by squeezing a helplessly squiggling Maru like an octopus would an unfortunate fish while proclaiming he is "ayah arnab".

Maru turned to me and seeked support. "Kakngah, she's calling me dumb!"

"You forgot the pretty part!" Melle laughed back.

Well at least Maru is learning English. That kid's conversational English and Arabic are abysmal.

No comments:

Haru & Associates