Thursday half hour before Maghrib, I was on the Metro to Ghamra on my way for the last day of Cairo International Book Festival. It was after I disembarked the train that I remembered my backpack was on my back during the ride and I immediately turned it sideways... and what do you know, the smaller compartment of my backpack was unzipped. A quick check confirmed my suspicion. Someone pickpocketed my phone.
I grinned hopelessly at the sky; stupid Hana, amateur mistake!
2013 my iPod was pickpocketed because I had my backpack on my back and I placed the iPod in the smaller compartment, which was beyond stupid. Only noob first-years wear their backpack on the back and even noober was to place valuables in the smaller, easily-accessible compartment. For God sake Hana you're leaving Egypt for good in half a month!
I quickly checked the main compartment and heaved a huge sigh of relief. Thank God my purse and IDs were safe. I was just so very grateful it was only my phone and for the rest of my journey, I kept repeating alhamdulillah and asking forgiveness for my sins in between gearing up protocols.
(1) Well with the phone gone, I have a legit reason for not answering calls or messges. Though I need to alert mom that I'm unreachable by phone, especially WhatsApp. Haha WhatsApp... good riddance?
Wait. Damn I lost my planner along with the phone. Ah this is going to be tiresome.
(2) The only other number I remember was Tasnim's number because it was only a digit different from my number. So if in emergency, I will call her.
(3) Plan didn't change. Take microbus for Maarad, buy entrance ticket, enter, buy kids flashcards on the way to the mosque, pray Maghrib, go buy Nelson and Bro's books.
Thank God I wrote down his list of books on a piece of paper and the thief didn't take the paper with her. His original messages were lost together with the phone.
(4) Currently my feelings were that of content. I was in control of myself, plan looked good, everything happened for a lesson. No regrets.
Until I saw the sunset and I realised I had no camera to take a picture with. It was beautiful... Never mind, let's stare at it for a longer while.
(5) I need to reclaim my simcard as soon as possible. Should I, after the maarad, take the microbus to Damardesh and then straight to Maadi for the Etisalat center?
But Nelson was quite heavy, I wasn't sure how long I can walk carrying it and my backpack around. Internship wasn't friendly on my shoulder either, and I had a long day today. Should I from Damardesh go back to my place, relieve myself of Nelson and then to Maadi?
But I don't like to take double train... I am adverse against redundancy.
(6) I don't need another phone, not now. My Note will do, but I would need a phone for when I start working. Maybe I can get mom or Bro to gift me a phone as congratulations for graduating?
Too soon to think about that. Let's go get a new simcard first.
---
The bus I took was going to Ramsis and Tahrir and passed my usual stop; Damardesh Metro station. But I decided to try the Tahrir stop, it should be near the Mugamma and I can walk from there to the Tahrir Etisalat Center on my way back. On a normal day, it's a 20 minute leisure walk back from Mugamma.. with Nelson, maybe it'd be 30.
Okay let's do this.
... only I didn't expect the Tahrir stop to be near Hilton Ramsis, which was even farther than the Tahrir Museum. Man the walk was farther than I thought. Nelson felt heavier, I wished I was stronger and my legs were longer to take wider strides.
I caught a glimpse of the clock as I set my landmark walking towards the Mugamma. It was 7.40pm. I think I could make it to Etisalat by 8. It should be closed by 9.
So I continued my walk back, stopping a few times because Nelson was heavy and every muscle demanded a hearing. I wondered why I walked this whole distance. Ah yes, I hardly take taxis when I'm alone, let alone alone and phoneless.
Well, at least the view was beautiful. Tahrir at night reminded me of the square near Hard Rock Cafe Madrid.
... Only to come upon a closed store. It wasn't even 8 yet. All the walking and lifting were just for exercise? Do I have the energy to go to Maadi?
Ah, no. Not today.
With a resigned fate, I continued walking. Then suddenly, I saw two familiar figures crossing the street. It was Umair and Pait. I grinned widely and yelled out for them until they noticed me. I would run for them, but you know, heavy Nelson, long walk..

No comments:
Post a Comment