بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

A little fear goes a long way

We had Gen08 Grand Dinner at Nile Lily, Manial on Friday the 13th February. It was a gorgeous place (I like that they raised ducks around the floating restaurant) with awesome people and great food. I am very picky with mahsyi and the mahsyi they served as appetizer was the best mahsyi I ever had in my years in Cairo.

There was an award ceremony that night. I was nominated for Fear-is-not-a-factor Award and the description for when we were to vote for it was that it was to award the person who travelled or wandered to rare and adventurous places. Other nominees were Ara, Nisa and Ayu, all of whom were my travelmates.

I haven't been travelling much in the recent years and the rare places I could vouch for were only Luxembourg Garden in Paris and getting lost in Madinat Salam in Cairo. And of course, the many unbecoming stunts of wandering off alone, so the term fear-is-not-a-factor plus its description sounded off to me. 

It was too close to describe someone who travelled around without a chaperone, which is a sore topic in our Malaysian community in Egypt. Zizou already snided me after he saw me late at night away from my neighbourhood without a male chaperone and I know this was not something to be awarded for. I really hoped I didn't win the award.

But I did. When Dijah announced my name, I remained seated and hung my head. I didn't want to go to the stage but Adakun told me to go anyway. And so I marched up to the stage and accepted the recognition my female batchmates voted for me.

I took my seat and examined the gift I received. The award title bothered me. Fear is not a factor, huh?

Well yeah, it was rarely a factor to be considered when I travel or do stuffs. The biggest weighing factor has always been my laziness and my hatred to impose on people. So far the things I fear are dentists and putting in eyedrops.

When it comes to studying, I really am lazy to the point of fearless.

Brave means being the only one who knows you're afraid. I guess not crying in front of them after my apartment caught fire can be considered brave.

---

Speaking of eyedrops. Kak Junaidah called me a sissy when I mentioned the drama I went through with eyedrops. My usrahmates had a good laugh at me when they discovered this sissy side of me but it proved to be such a difficult task they will always pass on to someone else instead.

Me: Guys, may I trouble you?
Housemate A: Sure.
Me: Put eyedrops for me.
Housemate A: (scoots away) I don't want to. You do it.
Housemate B: No, you do it.
Me: Please I promise to behave. My eyes are dry.
Housemate B: (sighs) Okay, lay down.

These are the same people who would otherwise move bodies for me!

Me: (immediately after laying down, whimpers) Oh no this is scary.
Housemate : Open your eyes, how am I supposed to put it in if you close your eyes?
Me: Okay I'm opening it, hurry.
Housemate : Stay still Hana, hands away from your face.
Me: No! Argh I'm scared!
Housemate : Oi stay still!
Me: (pathetically cries)
Housemate : Do you want to do this or not!
Me: I waaaant don't give up on me! I'll behave!
Housemate : Stay still..
Me: (whimpers)
Housemate : (drops)
Me: Argh is it in? Is it in?
Housemate : It is.
Me: (sobs) Waaa thank you.

No comments:

Haru & Associates