The other day Hyde got admitted and operated upon. Once discharged, he made a public statement apologizing for his stubbornness that lead to this whole fiasco. I forgave him and told him that "pathological stubbornness is autosomal recessive."
Autosomal recessive means a trait that is genetically inherited with both parents as carrier. With each pregnancy, the kid has 25% chance of clinically manifesting with that trait. If one parent is clinically affected and the other is a carrier, chance for that kid to be affected will spike up to 50%.
Hyde was not the only stubborn person who was reckless on his own health. We also have dad and me, thus my comment.
Upon my statement, dad said he probably needed to reopen his genetic book. I told him that I clinically diagnose this condition without any gene assessment needed (because obviously I am making this up, anyone thinking I am serious need to get a thorough reality check-up); solely from the patient's positive family history. "Because papa you are also quite a very stubborn person. Can only blame you la. Muahaha."
"Not stubborn, but firm..." he said. And so I reminded him of his refusal to undergo a medical investigation when he was admitted one time ago.
"Oh...ok..." he remembered. "Yes I (was) reluctant for OGDS cos I well... you know lah..."
Hahaha! See what I mean?
To his credit, he reasoned that the investigation was not indicated for his condition at that time but of course his doctor, my mom and me think otherwise. It was then a case of self-management commonly encountered among the health personnel.
I am all too familiar with this. So really, this pathological stubbornness is genetic.
Autosomal recessive means a trait that is genetically inherited with both parents as carrier. With each pregnancy, the kid has 25% chance of clinically manifesting with that trait. If one parent is clinically affected and the other is a carrier, chance for that kid to be affected will spike up to 50%.
Hyde was not the only stubborn person who was reckless on his own health. We also have dad and me, thus my comment.
Upon my statement, dad said he probably needed to reopen his genetic book. I told him that I clinically diagnose this condition without any gene assessment needed (because obviously I am making this up, anyone thinking I am serious need to get a thorough reality check-up); solely from the patient's positive family history. "Because papa you are also quite a very stubborn person. Can only blame you la. Muahaha."
"Not stubborn, but firm..." he said. And so I reminded him of his refusal to undergo a medical investigation when he was admitted one time ago.
"Oh...ok..." he remembered. "Yes I (was) reluctant for OGDS cos I well... you know lah..."
Hahaha! See what I mean?
To his credit, he reasoned that the investigation was not indicated for his condition at that time but of course his doctor, my mom and me think otherwise. It was then a case of self-management commonly encountered among the health personnel.
I am all too familiar with this. So really, this pathological stubbornness is genetic.


1 comment:
"Maybe it's all genetic. Maybe we're just prisoners of our biology."
"Biology is strong but there are always choices."
Jonathan Kellerman, Survival of the Fittest page 76
Post a Comment