Took the patient's blood pressure. Iskandar was assisting. I failed to hear the pulse. Tried again. Epic fail. Announced my failure and handed over to Is-kun.
"It is okay if you didn't get it. Just tell me you didn't get it." Dr. Rockstar the resident (I think) assured me.
"160 over 110." Is-kun announced.
Failing in front of our esteemed mentor is considered for us a major devastating humiliation. I went over to where Umair and Syaimaa were. "Aku fail BP depan Is. Aku tak boleh kahwin lagi."
Syaimaa laughed. "Macam mana kau boleh relatekan kahwin dengan BP? Kalau gagal bezakan baking soda dengan baking powder boleh kira lagi."
Taking vital signs is the most basic of the basic a doctor-to-be must master. If I fail that, what right do I have to even think of anything else?
---
Dr. Husam was telling me why Egypt is the top in the pyramid of Hepatitis C incidence. Umair came out from behind the patient's curtain and asked him.
"Dr. Husam, why is the (brachial) pulse inaudible? Is it because we are stupid?"
Dr. Husam grinned and said maybe it was problem with the patient's peripheral pulse, problem with the stethoscope placement or ultimately "problem with the doctor himself."
We laughed and I made my way behind the patient's curtain. Dr. Hesham was taking the patient's BP after us students failed to. We prepped the ECG leads while waiting for him.
Dr. Hesham stood up and announced he failed, too. "Let's proceed with the ECG."
---
Tonight each of us had difficulty in measuring the BP at least once. (Syaimaa was traumatized after nearly diagnosing the patient with severe hypotension when he was actually normotensive while Iskandar shook his head at his stethoscope, stating "benda ni mengecewakan aku.")
But the others never gave up. I admire my friends determination, resilience and proactiveness. I will work harder and not lose to them! :D
P/s: It is 3.30am and I cannot sleep.. I will need IV caffeine in the morning.
"It is okay if you didn't get it. Just tell me you didn't get it." Dr. Rockstar the resident (I think) assured me.
"160 over 110." Is-kun announced.
Failing in front of our esteemed mentor is considered for us a major devastating humiliation. I went over to where Umair and Syaimaa were. "Aku fail BP depan Is. Aku tak boleh kahwin lagi."
Syaimaa laughed. "Macam mana kau boleh relatekan kahwin dengan BP? Kalau gagal bezakan baking soda dengan baking powder boleh kira lagi."
Taking vital signs is the most basic of the basic a doctor-to-be must master. If I fail that, what right do I have to even think of anything else?
---
Dr. Husam was telling me why Egypt is the top in the pyramid of Hepatitis C incidence. Umair came out from behind the patient's curtain and asked him.
"Dr. Husam, why is the (brachial) pulse inaudible? Is it because we are stupid?"
Dr. Husam grinned and said maybe it was problem with the patient's peripheral pulse, problem with the stethoscope placement or ultimately "problem with the doctor himself."
We laughed and I made my way behind the patient's curtain. Dr. Hesham was taking the patient's BP after us students failed to. We prepped the ECG leads while waiting for him.
Dr. Hesham stood up and announced he failed, too. "Let's proceed with the ECG."
---
Tonight each of us had difficulty in measuring the BP at least once. (Syaimaa was traumatized after nearly diagnosing the patient with severe hypotension when he was actually normotensive while Iskandar shook his head at his stethoscope, stating "benda ni mengecewakan aku.")
But the others never gave up. I admire my friends determination, resilience and proactiveness. I will work harder and not lose to them! :D
P/s: It is 3.30am and I cannot sleep.. I will need IV caffeine in the morning.
The next day. "Don't be afraid," Is said to me in his patient voice. "It is okay to fail now."
I feel like a little girl who just failed a math test and being consoled by the fatherly headmaster TT-TT


No comments:
Post a Comment