بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

86 400 seconds

Aunty Syarina and dad met me at the airport, dad pointing me out in a flash. She was wearing the white shawl I bought from Cairo. We had tea (somewhat) of roti canai telur and air batu campur.

Sometimes we fall down, can't get back up
We're hiding behind skin that's too tough

"Eh anak sape ni?"

"Anak Iwan."

"Hah?? Bile Abang Iwan kahwin??"

How come we don't say I love you enough
Till it's to late, it's not too late

Ayep was a bit friendlier than last I remembered him, yet his chubby face was still etched with that permenant scowl of a three-year-old with everyday problem of paedophilic aunty running around for a hug.

Farisya and Farith. Syebuk je Pakcu Rayyan! :P

Our hearts are hungry for a food that won't come
And we could make a feast from these crumbs

I said I would come visit Chu and Anjang in Penang before I fly back to Cairo, but Ramadhan is in few days and did I mention dad likes to keep us at arm's length during the holy month?

I am so sorry :(

And we're all staring down the barrel of a gun
So if your life flashed before you,
What would you wish you would've done

Nenek made this delicious daging bakar masak lemak cili api. The gravy was thick and spicy and my God, the meat was tender and haha I'm salivating all through writing this :P

Yeah, we gotta start
Looking at the hands of the time we've been given
If this is all we got and we gotta start thinking

Chigu hopped away from me and stared at me from his position on the bamboo carpet near Hakim's day mattress. After a few seconds, he leapt back towards me. A pool of clear fluid laid innocently where he once was.

Chigu.

If every second counts on a clock that's ticking
Gotta live like we're dying

I woke up late and Mira already stolen the Vios. I had to drive the Innova for the first time. "Esok nak balik kampung, jangan bagi calar," Along trustfully warned me.

I came home happy with the day. Mira on the other hand, did not amuse us with the Vios coming home dented with a line of scratch from end to end.

We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
Turn it all around or to throw it all away

Raja will be flying to Amsterdam this 22nd Sept, then take the train to Prague to further her studies in medicine at Czech Republic.

"Oh, lepas tu dari Prague ke Czech camne?" Confidently as usual, sipping fruit cocktail.

"Tiqah!" Tasnim and Laila laughed. "Prague tu dekat Czech la!"

We gotta tell them that we love them
While we got the chance to say
Gotta live like we're dying

I could sit here all day, smiling and laughing as Fatimah and Kak A'isyah continued their stories.

And if your plane fell out of the skies
Who would you call with your last goodbye

Anas came to me and politely salam-ed me. He then smirked and tightened his grip, nearly realigning my phalanges. I cursed at the agony of being petite at 20.

Should be so careful who we leave out of our lives
So when we long for absolution,
There'll no one on the line

Drove Chik Na and Kak Yang to Tesco Tamping for provisions for mom and Rayyan's surprise birthday party.

Rayyan.

I over my birthday gift budget by double, haha Atiqah has this curse of buying things the moment it captures her eyes. I mean heart.

Mommy was elated with the Crocodile watch.

Yeah, we gotta start
Looking at the hands of the time we've been given
If this is all we got and we gotta start thinking

Abang Yan sat at the table, eating Mak Ndak's mee kari while chatting with mom and Mak Teh on the family orchard.

If every second counts on a clock that's ticking
Gotta live like we're dying

Me and mom dropped by Kak Yah's place before reaching arwah atuk's house. They all chatted with so much familiarity though the only recollection I had of them was their house was where I had kuih batang buruk the last time I rounded up the village for duit raya collection (which was in my primary school days).

I still have families I know nought about.

We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
Turn it all around or to throw it all away

I expressed my apparent displeasure at mom selling off my Budu to Abang Saleh while I was away. He laughed, stating I could take it for a spin any time I wanted.

Would have posed for a picture with Budu had Abang Ngah's little brother wasn't waiting in said car.

We gotta tell them that we love them
While we got the chance to say
Gotta live like we're dying

Angah greeted us at his gate, oh my god is that a cigarette he's holding? "Angah! Dah ada cucu dah, merokok lagi?"

"Amboi tak sempat-sempat la dia~"

Like we're dying, oh, like we're dying..

Laksa mee Mak Ngah is the best! First time I had them with udang lipan, truthfully I didn't find them repulsive one bit. Alhamdulillah they were easier to eat compared to crabs.

Also had ayam pinang and ayam masak lemak that night, I am officially obese, thank you XD

We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
Turn it all around or to throw it all away

Ateh had his backache when he was nearing 50. I am 20 and I remembered waking up crying once because the back effing hurts.

We gotta tell them that we love them
While we got the chance to say
Gotta live like we're dying

Sarah was playing with Kak Nora and I approached the two-year-old with a broad smile. She looked up, muttered something and hastily retreated. Kak Nora laughed. "Sarah kata 'Oh no.'"

You never know a good thing till it's gone
You never see a crash till it's head on

Zara was practicing her steps. Curly-haired sparkled as she giggled and leapt into Kak Shina's arms, demanding her snack of cheese.

Why do we think we're right when we're dead wrong
You never know a good thing till it's gone

I told them the monthly grant JPA gave us and how living in Cairo permitted me to use only a quarter of it monthly. Kak Nora nearly choked on her lontong. "USD100 je guna? I hatechu."

Yeah, we gotta start
Looking at the hands of the time we've been given
If this is all we got and we gotta start thinking

Padli and Abang Hafiz went out to "bakar sate" for us, as pak long put it. They also bought strawberry marshmellow cheese cake for mom's second surprise birthday celebration.

If every second counts on a clock that's ticking
Gotta live like we're dying

Abang Shahrul was easy to talk to. He scanned through the photo album asking for captions of the places I went, no evidence of a Kelantanese in his accent.

We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
Turn it all around or to throw it all away
We gotta tell them that we love them
While we got the chance to say
Gotta live like we're dying

We hugged and we exchanged words, me with a one-word reply. Hakim was eerily silent, huh. I was no one for words, either.

Sissy here was in tears at the automatic passport gate.

Like we're dying, oh, like we're dying..

p/s: Kris Allen was dedicating that song to me, dattebayo.

No comments:

Haru & Associates