بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

15th Sept: Shop till You Drop

I took a leave from Ustaz Rashid today, since my parents took the day off to take me shopping and banking.

Banking

First stop was HSBC Bank. We met Ms. Lee and dad chatted with her like old buddies while I stared at them with goofy smiles. Off the record, she told us tales of banking in Malaysia and some of the situations in Egypt.

He arranged for my account to be made joint with his, easing me in cases of stolen or lost ATM cards and such. If I'm left stranded, at least someone trustworthy can act on my behalf.

Not really interested in banking, that's why I took up medicine. Dad likes to talk finance with me (with me admitting boredom, to which he laughs understandably) and encourages me to monitor my unit trusts, finance portfolio and read financial related books and mags, instead of the neurones-damaging comics. Which is as exciting as watching my cat yawns.

Afterwards, he went to Takaful whatsit to run a few errands regarding my Takaful Siswa or something like that while me and mom went shopping for Hakim's baju melayu.

We came out of the shop not with a nice pair of baju melayu, but with a nice tudung for me instead.

Never trust girls to go shopping. Even with a list, they'll steer off coast and end up with something else instead.

Then the real deal began. We went to KB Mall in search for my stuffs.

Shopping

Buying bags

I was never good at shopping. I made a lot of mistakes (repetitively) with my purchases that I need to rely on others to give me ideas and such. Which is where my parents step in.

They told me which bag they like, and with a few nods at their reasons of why, I will pronounce my, "Yes, I'll take that bag."

As soon as possible. I can't stand being in a room full of stuffs. I know I'll end up magnunah with all the choices to be made.

So, now, I am the proud owner of a set of Camel Active gold-colored cargo and hand carriage bags.

Buying winter clothes

We went to buy a set of long john for me. The clothes are funny looking. Not haha funny; funny funny. (No, I am not confusing. It's just you not watching Teenage Mutants Ninja Turtles.)

One set is enough, I suppose.

Mom asked me about sweaters.

"I have one. The one I brought home from Shah Alam."

"That one's not really suitable. It won't keep out the cold air. We'll get you a new one."

"But I like the color! Can't I just bring it along?"

"It's your call, but it won't do much trick. Why not you just take Along's jacket? He hadn't given you any souvenirs yet, had he?"

Haha! So there it goes. I shall take ownership of Along's olive jacket. Along, you hear me? Don't play deaf! (or blind, in this case.)

There were thick socks and gloves on sale, too. Dad suggested I buy one, but he did mention it would probably cost less in Egypt.

"At least, I'll take a simple one just to use before I buy a winter one, eh?"

"Sounds good. Choose one."

"This one is double-layered, but this one is single. Which one, papa?"

"Double."

"But the single has cute stripes!"

"Then buy the single one, la."

"Papaaa!"

In the end, I end up with just the long john and a pair of wool socks.

Buying shoes

I wanted a new pair of shoes (haha. Okay, I know I should stop blabbing about shoes.) so we walked to the shoes department, where I fall in love with this Camel Active Hydra shoes!

I slipped into it and it was like, perfect!

Only it was one size too large.

"Excuse me, sir. You have this in 5?"

The guy went to check. He came back later with, "Sorry, 6 is our smallest."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Nehiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

I recovered from my shock and left to soothe my aching heart.

Buying pants

"No, mom. I've enough pants at home."

"Sport pants?"

"I used my black slacks when I played futsal."

"You can't use slacks for sports!"

Well, I did. And I have lots of black slacks, so it should not be an issue.

But debating with mom will be lethal on my behalf, so I let her choose a sport pants for me. "Here, try M."

"It's..." I stared at my feet as I held the trousers close to my lower limbs. "Too long."

"Here, S."

Don't. I. Grow?

As I wandered around for the salesperson, I stumbled across this beauty hanging off the rack. Malicious smile. "Mama, can I have this one, too?"

"Sure."

It was a khaki slack.

Buying white shirt

I arrived at the ladies department. Stared at the endless rows of petite clothes. Okay, I am at loss.

This was the first time I shop at the ladies department. Usually I pick up my clothes from my mom's drawer, the gents department (they have cool t-shirts off the racks there) or specialty shops.

I need a white shirt to go with my navy blazer for my departure this 6th October. How do you choose a shirt for blazer?

They're short, for God sake. Who wear such garments?

Mom pointed out, "This one, this one, this one... Oh, this one, too. Now go try them on."

Naturally, I tried them all. Man, I can't believe ladies wear such short clothes. What's wrong with them, anyway? Fancy showing off their gluteals to the world.

Why am I writing like I'm not a female myself?

I'm supposed to take an M, but I asked for an L. Which felt a lot breathable and won't embarrass me had I to take off my blazer.

I hope Egypt will be cool enough to welcome me.

Buying groceries

Took two of each common powder.

Took four of serbuk kunyit. I believe we will do a lot of frying in Egypt.

Passed the rack of instant fried rice without much of a glance. (Nasi goreng is easy... You throw in some garlic, anchovies, veggies, egg, rice, salt, some anchovy cube if you want, and voila!)

Took countless amount of chicken, anchovy and tom yam cube.

Took three of Habhal's sweet soy sauce.

Took four of Kimball's chilli sauce.

Stared at the massive pile.

"Do you think it will be enough?"

"It won't ever be enough. Are you planning on stocking up for one year?"

"Haha~"

"Why so much kicap? Are you planning on eating ayam masak kicap for the rest of six years?"

"Mama, they don't have kicap in Egypt. Better bring some before I run amok out of craving."

"Okay la."

"Besides, ayam masak kicap is easy."

For Atiqah, cooking, theoretically, is easy. Whether it is edible or not is another issue.

Buying kuali

I'm not even sure whether I should be buying one, but I might not have time to go for kuali-hunting in Egypt when I should be hunting for Chik's Harley Davidson.

I took one off the rack. "What do you think of this one, papa?"

"What's it made of?"

"Aluminium. This one's a stainless steel."

"Stainless steel, then. You could get aluminium poisoning from an aluminium wok."

"What?" I nearly dropped my hold of the aluminium wok.

"Don't worry, those are just rare cases. You could buy that one if you like." He stated selamber-ly.

"Papaaa! You can't expect me to buy this one after you told me of aluminium poisoning!"

Mom sort of glared dad. "That is, if the wok is scratched."

"Yeah, but I'm just saying the fact. You could get renal problem from it."

My stomach tightened.

"Aluminium wok is not the primary cause of renal problem."

"Of course."

Mom gave me the aluminium wok and made for the cashier to pay. I heard dad muttered, "Still, aluminium poisoning is one of the causes..."

Is it safe?

Back at home...

I stared at my pile of stuffs. Stared at my giant Camel bag. Okay... now how am I to ensure I'm not exceeding the luggage weight limit?

"Mama, can I borrow your office's bathroom scale?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Then how am I to know my luggage's weight?"

"You go to the air port and weigh it." Dad popped out and laugh.

Ha. Ha.

6 comments:

baby doctor said...

not buying those thick fat clothes first is a good idea. coz u can get a real good ones for a low price over there. so save the trouble of overweight-ing ur bag from clothes.

but of course, do bring sehelai dua as a standby. karang ada orang beku kat sana aku jugak yang kena. ;P

i think there wont be problems of finding kicap over there. coz kalau dekat saudi, they've got several thai/indonesian convenient stores around. so yeah, u know where to go in case ur stock runs out

akhir pesanan penaja, dont rely too much on bathroom scales. they can be deceptive. just look what happened to me last time, timbang kat rumah mcm dh cukup2 20kg. sampai airport dia tetibe obese 3 kg. huh

p/s: flight apa, mas? whats ur baggage limit?

Haru said...

hey, thanks for the tips. owe you one.
lawak r ur ayat on your bag suddenly obese 3 kg at the airport. hoho.
we'll be flying MAS, with baggage limit of 30 kg.
rasa cam nak sumbat basikal dalam tu. hoho.

alienanaeh said...

what's wrong wit weighting the baggage using the bathroom scale..
hoho..at least we can do the estimation ..haha..n of kos there will be some ralat gk kot lam 2-3 kilo..
btw, its weird how ur parents keep on pushing u to buy things.. cuz i had made mine stopping me from buying more..haha..i think i'd exceeded the baggage limit..hehs...so....mind to gv a ride for my rice cooker?? ahaha

Haru said...

hahaha, mari kita share barang! anah, kita berjiran, deh?!

alienanaeh said...

hehs.buleh ja..jom2..tp kat arma kita x masak kn?
hehs~

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Haru & Associates