My ward is cold, OT is colder, ED is coldest. My sweater was in the car but I was running between ward and OT and ED with no breaks in between so I had to suck it up. I ended up worsening my runny nose and my eye went running as well. The problem wa I had no non-sleepy medication on had. There was no Clarinase in stock in our hospital. I cannot risk taking a Piriton and not woken up for whatever. I was oncall.
I was able to sleep at 3. Woke up at 4 for a referral that after assessing the child was a TRO acute appendix in district and was stable, I went and forgot what it was about. Woke up at 5 groggy as hell with partial airway obstruction, made coffee and showered. If anything else, I need to clean up.
AM round and my nose was ahead of me. Started clinic and my eye got worse. Had to apologize to all my patients for having such a germ-infested doctor seeing them today.
Break. I met Boss and discussed this and that. Then I asked him what he had planned in the evening. Any teaching, meeting etc. He had a meeting so I asked him if it was okay if I sit out from round and crash down a bit. My nose and eye were on a marathon.
He grinned "Teruk sangat ke oncall semalam?"
Yeah it was horrible. You almost made us laparotomy a child at 11pm Boss. I almost cried when you decided that but I would have done it anyway, work is work. Sleep deprived is something we face everyday, nothing new.
But I can't handle running organs Boss haha. I just needed to take some meds and I'll be good. At the expense of sitting out on PM round.
Boss said it was okay. He asked about our sleeping arrangements in the MO room and volunteered out his office for us to sleep in.
But I felt bad. I felt, weak? I can't complain to an almost pensioner, it's not fair. He had worse during his time and there I was asking to step out.
I went back to ward. Rummaged through our in stock medicine cabinet. Took what I needed and sat on the couch in the MO room. I fell asleep few minutes later.

No comments:
Post a Comment