Anaes and Surgery have a unique relationship. We're the primary team and they're the supporting team we cannot do without. We always need good communication with each other and I believe the weight of a good doctor is how s/he communicates.
Which is most of the time the root of all our problems.
Yesterday we had our elective OT. Usually Anaes plan to induce the last case of the day by 2.30pm so we would not extend our OT time and everyone go home on time.
I was second assistant for our splenectomy and cholecystectomy that started at 11 plus due to the first case taking quite some time. It was already past 2pm when we were done with our second procedure and we still want to do our urethroplasty which was the last case, and that to a degree annoyed the Anaes specialist.
My surgeon finished closing the muscle and passed me the needle holder for the subcutaneous layer and skin closure. He was having stuffy nose and I could see his agony throughout the operation.
Mr. Ashok: I'm sorry Atiqah, I need you to close for me.
Me: It's okay. I like closing.
Mr. Ashok: And I need to go-
Me: Blow your nose, yes. Thanks Mr. Ashok.
The Anaes specialist saw my surgeon scrubbing out and her pitch got higher. "Eh?? You're not going to close??"
I didn't comment. My surgeon didn't say anything. Knowing him, I know he was ignoring her.
"Whatever. You have to finish by 3pm. Consider la Anaes time."
I turned around and saw it was 2.30pm. I didn't say anything. I know I can finish on time, but no one needs your promises, people just need to see the result. So I started closing and just communicated with my scrub nurse.
The Anaes specialist got a phone call and she was chatting amiably. She outright said in front of me that the case was still closing with another next case awaiting. "Surgeon degil" was her words, haha.
I do think my surgeon should have communicated with the Anaes specialist the progress of our operation and the Anaes could have used a better tone, but I guess both have their ego talking.
I finished at 2.57pm. I scrubbed out, thanked my OT nurses and thanked the Anaes team by name.

No comments:
Post a Comment