If you chat with any HOs or senior doctors, the one mutual advice they give us medical students in order to survive houemanship is having the right attitude.
Behave humbly and politely.
Eager to learn.
Be diligent.
Yadayada.
They all repeat the same thing. I assume they tell us this in advance is for us to develop the right attitude right now, from this moment, now, before we step into the workforce. So that keeping a good attitude is easy for us by that time.
Go to class and respect your teacher and classmates.
Help each other out.
Be reasonable.
Be eager to learn.
Have depth in your knowledge to stand up for yourself.
Be nice to the patients.
I clerked this stuporous uncooperative patient once. She'd rather sleep than hear me out. She denied any previous operation while I was clerking her but when I examined her, there was a scar of previous hernia repair. Took everything in me not to smack anything.
Anyway. My batchmates are all grown up, at the age of marriage, they can do whatever they want and I should worry more about myself (I have difficulty sleeping early to be up for the 7am class. If this persists, how would I wake up before 5am for work?) But when you see your classmates ditching class, shoving clerking after clerking to you, shitting out bullshits like "if you assign me to present the case, I won't show up for class", you start to wonder how long does it takes before housemanship kills them and they drop out.
Dr. Ayman Gado told us that we should save the patient and try not to scandalize our colleagues. Today I learn that in medicine, you have to save a patient's life and your colleague's ass.
I hope I don't trouble people by having them wipe my ass too much. And I certainly hope I stick around in this field.

No comments:
Post a Comment