بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Aleppo

Dr. Maged doesn't like the majority of Egyptian students very much. "They're undisciplined and they don't attend the class. Before your round, Dr. Raafat gave a session at 10 on Monday. He came and waited for 30 minutes. Nobody showed up. He didn't give a session to Egyptians after that."

Our resident is a 28 years old Yamani who studied in Aleppo University which according to him "is the best. Better than Kasr el Ainy." He graduated in 2009 and proceeded with the paediatric surgery fellowship in the university. The program was for six years but he only completed three years of it, until one fated day the army came to the hospital and attacked. He fled the hospital at 3am.

He came to Egypt leaving behind his books and belongings and started his residency in surgery at Kasr el Ainy Department 11B. He lives in Manial and pays LE2000 in rent for a place he uses for shower and storage for his clothes. "I have been in this department for about 4-6 months and I think I've only gone home properly for six times. I usually sleep here."

"So you sleep on the patient's bed?"

"No, on the couch."

Waaah that sounds fun. I haven't slept on a couch since last summer. But really, too much of it and you'll get back pain.

"Why are you here and not at the paediatric hospital?"

"I have to complete the residency in general surgery first, after that I can continue with paediatric surgery."

"Do you get paid working in Kasr el Ainy?"

"I get paid by my embassy, about USD630 a month. I pay Kasr el Ainy about GBP3200 per year for my fellowship."

"Wow. So you have to go back to Yaman once you complete your MD?"

"No.. there's no contact there. I have no contract with my embassy."

"We do. Our government pays us around USD420 per month and we have to go back after graduation to Malaysia with a contract of ten years."

"Ten years!?"

And it seemed like anyone studying under Dr. Raafat will feel pressured by his strict ways. "But I think he likes me."

"We know he likes you, Dr. Maged."

"How do you know? Because I am always with him? But he really is hard on me."

"I know because he lets you study and follow him around. And because he's tough on you so that you will learn. It's his tough love."

No comments:

Haru & Associates