بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Stray Cats of Alexandria

We went to the Citadel by the Mediterannean Sea and I approached a group of locals fishing by the waves. One of the man had a group of stray cats loitering by his feet and I wondered why, were they waiting to snatch his catch?


The man reeled in and at the end of the hook was a tiny fish the size of my thumb. The man unhooked the poor fish and to my surprise, handed the struggling fish to one of the cats near him. The tabby restrained the fish with his paws and gobbled it up.

I learned from reading Conan that it is a courtesy to the sea to release the fish back if you caught a small one, so that the small fish can grow up big and give new generations before it is caught again. But for the man to feed his catch to the cats instead is indeed the cat's sustenance for the day.

..for Allah provides sustenance to whom He pleases, without measure.
Surah Al-Imran, verse 37


I looked to my right and saw a tourist couple, the lady mesmerized by the amiability of the cats. I greeted them and she asked me has the man been feeding the cats? I told her yes, and shared her my thoughts.

"Our cats in England eat mice and Friskies."

"And the strays in Alex eat fresh living fishes from the sea," I nodded. Her husband laughed. We agreed that they have got to be the luckiest cats of all places.

That it is He Who give wealth and satisfaction.
Surah An-Najm, verse 48

And with His sustenance, we are steps closer to Him.

1 comment:

fnma said...

*stunned* cat got my tongue :D

Haru & Associates