بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Pool Party @ Kozi

Pool Party di Kozi attended by Geng Qiamullail Di Kuching. 

That day was a Thursday and Nabila and I were in emergency OT for a TOF repair and colostomy. I was the first to arrive in OT and Dr Teo the Paed Anaes consultant also Anaes HOD asked me “Really no bronchoscopy? And stoma before TOF repair right?” 

I knew we’re not doing bronch and that logically TOF repair before stoma because of urgency but I didn’t actually confirm with my surgeons so I replied “I’ll confirm with them” to which she replied “Tu pun you tak tahu??”. 

The TOF repair took about 4 hours I think. I did the stoma and perforated the stoma at 9 o’clock from my rough handling. Mr Chin scrubbed back in and repaired it. He was so kind and told me “don’t worry” but actually I didn’t worry a bit because he was there and I could have repaired it anyway. 

During the distal loop washout, Dr Teo complained about me (my steps differ a bit from SGH because I didn’t remember how SGH does it but I remember how Likas did) and she yelled “Mr Chin!!!” so loud to get my HOD’s attention, who scurried and kindly enumerate the steps (which I was doing anyway). 

By the time I unscrubbed, I have missed Zohor Asar and berbuka puasa. I sat and wrote the op notes chanting “it’s okay, you’re in training” in my head. Nabila came and gave me a piece of chocolate. We then went to pray Maghrib before we joined the girls for Pool Party and as I was taking my wudhu, she told me she wanted to cry because she was tired and hungry and stressed. 

I said “Is it because I perforated the bowel?” “Because Dr Teo yelled.” And then her tears broke. 

I abandoned my wudhu and went to hug her and then I cried too for the longest I can remember, because I was toughening it up but here was my friend crying because someone else was yelling at me. I told her for every mean person we met, there are many more kind people we meet. I told her about Ms Poh being emphatic, how Mr Chin was so kind teaching, how the girls were mad at Dr Sanah (also Paed Anaes consultant) who one other time was mean to me as well (I marked wrongly for a gastrostomy insertion and as Mr Chin was very kindly teaching me, she quipped “Tak pernah tengok gastrostomy ke?”)

I told her that people are not going to be nice at us but we’re not like that. We’re going to always be kind. 

We had a good 15 minutes cry and then we prayed, and then we joined the buka puasa close to 8pm (Maghrib was 6.47pm). 
Haru & Associates