بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Monday, July 05, 2021

put your hands up, put your hands up, put put put put put

Today in clinic a 12 years old boy walked in referred for circumcision under GA for ADHD. He at a glance looked mentally normal and just a tad taller than me. I greeted them, clerked him concisely short of examining him. Then I stood up and said "Sebentar saya cari doktor lelaki."

Before they even ask. Because I try to instill the importance of respecting a kid's sexuality and private parts. 

The only available male doctor was my surgeon so I pulled him in. Hahaha. The kid even kicked his parents out from the examination room. I stood outside the cubicle while my surgeon examined him behind closed curtain. 

While waiting, I reread the referral letter and asked the mother regarding his comorbids. Cerebral palsy with left hand hemiparesis means when was his last fit? What's his current motor function? His mom said he can grip albeit not as strong. 

The kid came out from the examination room. I gave him a thumbs up. He mirrored me and to my surprise plastered his thumb to mine. 

I blinked. That was the first physical contact I've had in quite a long while to be honest. 

I shook myself out of my reverie and told him to do it with his weaker side. He could form a thumbs up but he couldn't lift his arm to match mine. 

I then held up a high five. He matched mine with his good hand. I told him to do it with the other hand. He held it up though it was awkwardly internally rotated. It was a sideway high five.


No comments:

Haru & Associates