بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Professional courtesy

Prioritize your detailing.
You don't have to tell everything.
Highlight.
Don't cram too much info.
At the end of the day, knowledge presented isn't going to stick much, so stress properly on the take-home message.

Professional courtesy, near midnight on the 25th

Last year I put together the presentation for Medical Ethics and presented it twice to our beloved comrades. This year, despite the supposedly hereditary nature of presenter appointment, they ask me again to deliver it to our younger colleagues.

The presentation is scheduled the day after tomorrow. With such an impressive deadline, even I as the original presenter feel pissed. Whoever else that is going to present in my stead is bound to consult me anyway, so might as well save myself the trouble of answering avoidable phone calls.

As it is with our daily muhasabah, presenting a knowledge also dictates revising and updating. I need to revise whether last year's ILO still stands or is it too much and too heavy for mere medical students. I need to update with the sources whether the information I put together is still valid this time around.

And as superficial as it sounds, I still have myself to take care of. I have classes to attend, places to go and plans to entertain. I have my study to review. And I need my sleep otherwise I suffer the effect of poor growth hormone secretion and risk homicidal ideation. Don't mess with final year students dammit.

This is why it is unacceptable to assign someone a 2-days notice assignment.

You're lucky I am bad at saying no and I have no class at that particular showtime. I'm lucky I have a blog to vent and people helping me brainstorm via 30-minute midnight phone call. (I owe you call credit. Thanks bro.)


No comments:

Haru & Associates