بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Media in memory

When I was a first year the reporters and photographers were under separate units in Biro Penerangan dan Penerbitan (BPP) PERU*ATAN. I always complained to Paan the photographer boss that his unit was late with supplying the relevant pictures thus halting the process of publishing news on PERUBATANonline (PO). At the end-of-year meeting, he proposed that both units be merged and come my third year, Paan resigned and we have what we call Jabatan Liputan.

Despite the merge and promoted to deputy head, I didn't really get to appreciate the full extent of the work that the photographers had to put because I was a reporter myself and there were times we simply snap our own picture to go with our news regardless there was a photographer on duty or not.

Let's see if I remember this correctly...

2008 until winter 2010, first year until winter of second year.

BPP big boss was Damak and Kak Radin. My boss was Safwan and deputy was Kak Fathy. I was mostly tutored by Safwan, Abang Apis and Kak Radin and I learned a hell load from them. I was recruited as a photographer but writing suits me more, and my first official assignment was helping Abang Warouq with the 2009's graduation video. After sending the video off, I was to cover the winter's symposium at Hayyu Thamin, but I got lost and arrived late.

That time, Safwan kept calling me until I had to turn my handphone off because I'd rather get lost and find my own way than admit to a senior that I was indeed lost. I called Kak Radin and she picked me up instead, haha. We arrived safely at the venue and the first thing Safwan told me was to ask for food if I was hungry.

Serious level of kindness and a really good impression they left on me. The abomination that happened years afterward was another story, hahaha.

By summer of 2009, Safwan repeated his third year and thus cut off ties with us BPP. His post was left vacant so the unit ran with what we had until the end of that session. The bosses later promoted me to editor status on PERU*ATAN Online because they trusted my editorial work. Plus I used to edit Safwan editing my job a couple of times, haha.

Winter 2010 until winter 2011, second year until third year.

BPP big boss was Damak and Hani. It was the year I was exposed to the reality of bureaucracy and I didn't like how it smelled. Tong succeeded as the head but that guy was only on paper and Kak Fathy was hardly ever around. Truth be told, I only remembered Tong existed last night after asking Abang Apis. I think Damak played the role of head somewhere along this year, I was promoted, and we brought in Saeed and Adilah, our star reporters.

It was great that they were all very rajin and enthusiastic reporters together with Epul, and I got to play the role of news editor more. It was a fun time because we did a lot of brainstorming with our Alex colleagues and we also had a couple of cat fights with Baem who helmed the Academic Bureau that time.

I worked with Damak, Hani, Abang Apis and Jack supervising and helping me. There were a lot of times I had to ask Safwan and Kak Radin for pointers and guidance, too much I suppose that Safwan repressed me from his memory. I got a lot of "shoo shoo" and "ni siapa" back then, hahaha.

Winter 2011 until winter 2012, third year until fourth year.

BPP big boss was Chip and Humairah. Fais joined us as the head and I was the official deputy head. It was the year I slammed into the wall of bureaucracy. It was pretty hard for me to keep up with Damak's bureaucratic ways that always ended up with me putting a stop to a plan yet to be executed. I always let Fais handle everything. 

This was the year I joined PERUBATAN-Today to publish the news Damak would surely reject.

2011/12, fourth year.

I had enough bureaucratic bullshits so I joined MedTeam and left Jabatan Liputan to the charismatic Ame and the very able Ain Nabila. I was mainly editor by this time with a couple of news written on days they were shorthanded or I was bored with ennui.

Over in MedTeam, they gave me the post of UPP which is sort of BPP for MedTeam, hahahaha. So I was still around messing with PO and also the other way around.

I admit I was running away. Apparently Ain used the same advisor (read: vent) as mine; Abang Apis. He told me later that Ain conplained of the same thing I complained, lulz. I guess some things are broken and done for.

2012/13, fifth year.

This was the year we split according to universities. Iqy was head for Cairo, right? With Fathinah from Gen11us as his deputy. I think Ame and Ain still helm the main Liputan for BPP.

2013/14, sixth year.

They haven't change the boss yet, right? But it felt quiet nowadays. The latest work I did was the news on the new ambassador Pak Ku meet with a security briefing by Sir Ishak around the third week of December, and back then I reported to Ame at that time.

Know how I got that assignment? Ame was photographing around my isle and the juniors beside me seemed interested in him, hahaha. So I went

"Yo Ame sape tulis berita kali ni?"
"Entah. Akak la."

I think they didn't bother me with news work because I'm a final student now. The downside is that I hardly know who's who nowadays. I blame this confusion from no proper new-sem briefing by the bosses.

No comments:

Haru & Associates