The microbus was actually packed with two other sisters on their way back to Alex and nine other ustazs. Seeing our discomfort, two of the ustazs gave up their seats and sat next to the driver. So I ended up having the whole row to myself, the window next to me opened with the rush of cool air when the microbus whizzed pass.
Imagine my luck :)
So the ustazs weren't exactly taciturn. The seven behind my seat were discussing their return to Shoubra and whether or not they're returning to Malaysia for the summer. I heard Kelantan accent and wondered if there is a place where Kelantanese weren't around. The two in front engaged the driver in a healthy heated conversation where the driver talked in typical Egyptian style; full-blast in both his speech and hand gestures.
However, the microbus did not stop at Ramsis as earlier advertised. Apparently that was what the conversation was about, and one of the seven ustazs argued with the conductor ("I don't know, the driver decides!") and lastly asked me, "Ustazah, where are you going to?"
Of course they will politely refer to me as ustazah. I knew it was a bad idea to wear baju kurung to Asyir today, it gave people a false idea of my humbleness. "Ramsis, then back to Sayyeda Zainab."
They nodded. The microbus stopped for real at Ahmad Hilmi and we all exited despite the noisy ustazs called out to stay put and not budge in a form of boycotting the driver.
I surmised that Ahmad Hilmi is one of the last station with many microbuses and buses alike stationed and empty. High building rose above us and flyover can be seen from a distance. Unfortunately, I've never been here before thus have no idea of its layout and how to get to the nearest Metro station.
Now what?
The ustazs all went into mushrif mode. Asked each of us specifically where we were heading, and when we admitted we weren't familiar with this place, they told us that "Metro station is behind, over there. Come with us then."
Automatically seven walked in front of us and two walked behind us thus ensuring our overall safety amidst the bustling afternoon crowd. We dropped the two sisters in front of Ramsis train station for their train back to Alex, but not before I had to assure the ustaz that they both know and are used to getting on the train back.
And then we walked.
I've told you I've never been to this place before, right? So I can't help feeling a bit skeptical with where we were heading and sort of hesitated every time we made a turn. But the ustaz behind me assured us that "We're heading to Metro, don't worry."
I also can't help turning around every three seconds to look for Masyi because I always walked at the front when going out with the girls and had to make sure none were left behind (some of the mushrifs we were used to usually left us behind with their long pace and not a glance backwards). But one of the seven; the dark, tallest ustaz with cool aviator shades, Bersih button-badge on his backpack, Bersih tee underneath his shirt and no kopiah (this is the coolest aspect) walked half a meter in front and periodically turned around to make sure me and Masyi were close by.
Amidst the maze of track, they professionally guided us to As-Shuhadaa Station (formerly Mubarak) and helped bought the tickets we needed. The cool Bersih guy then faced us and said, "Till here is okay, ustazah?"
"Yup." I nodded gratefully. "Thanks a lot."
And they went their way towards Shoubra while we entered the Helwan platform.
---
Rokiah the Mushrif Department of JAKSI pestered me all the time because I always forgo mushrif when I go out. Well you can't blame me because who use mushrif for running around under the sun? (Ehem.)
This time, it was under the sun and we didn't even call for anyone but subhanallah, He gave us NINE mushrifs right that moment to ease us out.
I've never thought ustazs can be so cool.

4 comments:
ini baru betul2 macho! :D
nice story..
kat malaysia ni jalaan je sesuka hati.. sorang2 pun tak takde org nk peduli.. -_-"
so did you love Egypt ?
of course :D
Post a Comment