بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

To not Breed Prejudice

aka Day 1 – A photo of yourself and a description of how your day was.

Hi it's Atiqah with Bebah.


It's winter now in Egypt but we're all heated up with the recent harassments subjected to our sisters when commuting through certain areas in broad daylight. Among the circulating advices is to be constantly vigilant and acutely aware of your surroundings.

So that you are able to recognize friends from foes, be quick and reflexive should that elbow-jab is needed that instance.

---

The other day I was walking back from Imarah 11 and yes I was alone until a small kid fell in step with me and smilingly asked, "What's your name?"

"My name is Nur," I smiled back most probably due to his petiteness (and yes, politeness). Ammar and I chatted as he walked me around the corner and we parted with the courteous let's-meet-again wave.

Most people will just walk by curious kids like 8-year-old Ammar here and ignore his questions and I understand the safety reason behind it. But when you're paranoid of everything, you'll be prejudiced and will miss out the fun and excitement that usually come along.

Bro Fadel Soliman once told us to "Never generalize and be objective. You may find good allies in some of them". And judging out of suspicion is depriving yourself from good things from happening.

So the neighbours might be a little bit taciturn, but if you approach them they are more than welcoming. We have Amm Mahmoud in front of the imarah, and the baker is protective when one of the girls last year ran for cover into his bakery. Give it a try now, why wait until you need their help then?

---

Another advice is to not walk out alone, and this one brother already warned "Lepas ni aku tengok ada budak perempuan jalan sorang, aku sound..."

Haha, now that's even scarier than the Arabs ^^" A bit difficult for me but I'll try my best.

---
151210

ok jaga diri elok2 yer... ingat orang tersayang...


201210

awak saya pernah nampak gak.. jalan takde musyrif
iskh3
jaga diri betul2..

We fortunately live in a caring community. Need more reasons to take better care of yourself? ;)

No comments:

Haru & Associates