"Ayah kau baik ke Atiqah? Ke dia garang?"
"Tengok la Atiqah baik je mesti la ayah dia baik!"
I was grinning. "Ayah aku baik. Dia yang teaching HO."
And they asked if there was any time I called my dad because I was dissatisfied with Paediatrician management.
Yeah I did in Lahad Datu. Twice actually.
They referred me TRO biliary atresia but they didn't do the prolonged jaundice workup because "my specialist said it's a clear cut surgical cause" and I almost called the specialist up to ask did she biopsied the child already to confirm it's a surgical cause, but I called my dad instead and ranted. He agreed that we have to rule out all medical causes as well.
Anyway I saw the kid. Bilirubin range yeah sort of like BA, but got transaminitis and the stool was effing pigmented. They didn't do ultrasound yet. Clear cut Surgical cause apa?
I actually opened up the Paed Protocol in front of the MO to show the list of causes of conjugated hyperbilirubinemia. "Surgical cause 3 je, ni lagi 10 korang punya. Takkan la korang nak suruh kitorang terus buat invasive procedure padahal non invasively diagnosed condition belum rule out pun."
And that one time they referred me an HSP kid with abdominal pain TRO intussusception. But they didn't start on steroid.
I remembered Dr. Nik Nas taught me "HSP kalau sakit perut, it is intus unless proven otherwise. Start steroid." So I asked them why didn't they start steroid. The MO told me if I wanted to start steroid, I may start. I blinked. Is that my decision? Aren't you guys better at managing HSP than a Surgical MO. I opened up the Paed Protocol and sure it was written there first plan under the heading of severe abdominal pain for HSP was to start oral prednisolone. I called my dad to confirm and he confirmed.
So I wrote there "for USG abdomen. Suggest to start prednisolone."
The referring specialist saw my plan and did start on prednisolone after my review.
The girls then asked me why didn't I become a Paediatrician when my dad's a neonatologist.
"Because I was still in medical school when he said I'm not calm enough to become a Paediatrician."
The yelling started. "KAU INGAT PAEDIATRICIAN NI SEMUA TENANG?"
They then listed all the names of their Paediatrician and told the stories how kalut they were when patient deteriorated in front of them.
"Pulse volume! Pulse volume!"
"Dr. Heng je yang cool. Patient fitting depan dia, dia tengok tenang je. 'Diazepam.'"
Hahaha. One would think Surgical are more ganas than Medical based, but you should see how these people do BMAT. Literally drilling into concrete.

No comments:
Post a Comment