Today we took Burn in Surgery lecture. It was a nice lecture, Dr. Yehia Safwat was cool and awesome. I benefitted since his first slide of Skin Anatomy.
Until we came to the special circumstances concerning Burn ie Upper Respiratory Airway Injury. The phrase laryngeal edema troubled me and made me edgy. I wanted to raise my hand and ask "what about inhalation injury?" but I remembered our previous lecturer who said "If you wait, your question will probably be answered."
So I waited, and there it was. The next subtopic was that of Inhalation Injury.
I swear I've been normal non-edgy since two weeks. I haven't been restless at night and no fire protocol had been running through my head. It had been a good life thinking about studies and where should I put my stuffs once unpacking commence.
The lecture troubled me in a sense that it made me fully appreciate how lucky I was that my inhalation injury was minor and I only had sorethroat for two days that no water could quench. I was aware and made jokes about it. That night, laryngeal edema did concerned me but I brushed it off and went to sleep per normal. I forgot laryngeal edema means can't breathe and death. If I had remember, I would probably went to the ER straight, everything else could wait.
Come to think of it, I made jokes about everything that first few days. Huh. NB: abnormal timely response should be monitored for abnormal post-timely reaction.
After class, I approached the bench and asked questions to justify my not-on-the-safe-side approach or should we accept reality and call it reckless. The doctor answered satisfactorily but there was a nagging in my head that pestered for more questions to be asked. But I withdrew, thanked him and walked away.
I cleared my throat because it suddenly got tight like it had that night. Irritated and I needed water now. Stupid, the fire was a month ago. Be rational now, there is no residual effect. It's psychological, stop being a sissy. Say your thanks to God you lucky bitch, you didn't die of laryngeal edema.
I suppose Anas was right when he said all females are hysterical.

No comments:
Post a Comment