بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Monday, January 07, 2013

The only Kelantanese quality I acquired

is appreciation for fine keropok. And sometimes preparing over-sweetened stuff, but that is a matter for discussion on another fine day.

Keropok is not a simple snack. It is God-send. For me, you can take away all my food and leave me just with this and I will be more than perfectly happy. (Perfectly happy but probably dead from immune deficiency secondary to malnutrition. Oh, so dramatic.)

Every time I went back home for the summer, a huge carton of Keropok Segera Cap 5 Ikan made by Yah Ismail, Tumpat will be awaiting me. I swear my mom is spoiling me rotten.

See what I mean?

Two years ago we were in a discussion and there was keropok served to us. I put it beside me and ate it piece by piece non-stop, until I noticed a friend looking at me in amusement. I looked up, keropok in hand and asked him what was the matter, to which he laughed and said "Thank God it's not pizza."

Earlier this year we won the PERUBATAN debate (oh I forgot to write a proper post about it, silly me) and Suhaila was so proud of me that she gave me a packet of keropok as a congratulatory present!

Hadiah menang debat :D

Once I dropped by unannounced at Ara's place and she immediately commented that I should have told her I was coming by, "or I would have fried some keropok for you."

Three months ago Najiha prepared fried noodle and Syuhada fried some keropok to eat with it, but I ended up eating only the keropok. I hastily ate a spoonful of noodle just to make Najiha happy that I ate what she cooked, but she was still so upset she took away the rest of the keropok and hid it in her room. So stingy.

A week or so after that, I dropped by her house with Nadhrah. Najiha kindly fried a whole container of keropok (I may or may not guilted her into submitting to her stinginess) which I paraded in front of Nadhrah but selfishly ate it by myself before obliging to her sad puppy-eyed face lulz.

Makan sorang menghadap dinding lambang kedekut keropok takmo share hahahah. Amat tak senonoh perangai begini.

A month ago Piqoh started her business of selling packets of keropok to us in class. Ara bought one packet and gave it as present to me. As if I needed more reason to love her, haha. I was going to take it home to eat it as breaking-fast but Is-kun then said "Hana hurry and open it" so I laughingly obliged and told him to pass it around. The guys ate half! :))

Ara is another person who spoils me rotten.

See, I have become nicer. I can now share what I enjoy with the people I enjoy. (Disclaimer: This is plain ironic and narcissistic. No nice people will announce they are nice.)

The next day, I bought two packets from Piqoh :P

By now, they all probably know I have a keropok fetish. Anyone can bait me with keropok and I will follow him to the end of the world, lulz.

Few weeks ago I couldn't sleep that night and when I finally did, I woke up at 10.30am. It was terrible, because I missed the 8.30am tutorial and the 10.00am Neonatology section. That night, this conversation occurred.


It was not the first time I was late or absent from class because of rough night. And it occurred to me that I must have been at the lowest point in my academic life for my friends to resort to baiting me with keropok to ensure I heed my attendance.

Wani bangun awal pagi gorengkan keropok. Oh Tuhan hatinya suci murni.

Anyway, there was no way I will ever pass up on Wani's offer. We are talking about authentic Terengganu's keropok here. C'est la crème de la crème!

P/s: Keropok is fish crackers. The thinner, the better. I like Yah Ismail's best because unlike the over-produced Cap Pinggan, this one is thinner and you can very much taste the fish to flour ratio, which is much higher. And this post was actually intended to be a place to document the increasing number of keropok pictures I have saved, lulz.

No comments:

Haru & Associates