بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Full House Minus One

Yesterday after the doctor dismissed us for the day, there was only one thing on my mind that I chanted like a mantra all the way back: Call mom.

It was God's grace and the more than three years daily experience of crossing the busy main road of Kasr el-Ainy that got me to the other side in one piece. The building-keeper stopped me at the stairs asking for her cleaning money and I nodded and probably told her I'd come down later with the money (I didn't), but I wasn't paying attention. My mind was blank except for the two words.

Because I can't risk fickleness this time around.

Threw the backpack on the cover and went online to call. We didn't get to chat that long because mom and dad were at the workshop picking up our Vios sent for a bodywork so I called Hyde after that. He was driving so he passed the phone to Hakim who went into details of the new robot vacuum at home (mom told me about it, but it was nice to hear the little kid talk).

He passed the phone to Melle whose first question was, "When are you coming back?"

"Ramadan, maybe. If I get to come back."

"Oh."

Phone changed hands to Maru. "Eh, where's Melle?" I asked the boy.

"She's crying."

Apparently that was a wrong answer to give when everyone else is at home except yourself.

---

And that was how I forgot I was on cooking duty yesterday, until my housemate called me at 6.30pm and I wouldn't be back until five hours later.
Haru & Associates