Coming down from the Kelana Convoy coach for the last time, I couldn’t see where I was stepping with all the sleeping bags I was carrying. I fell on the landing by the driver’s seat and had to break my fall with my left elbow.
It effing hurts. I couldn't straighten my elbow, lift my left arm above its level or leave it hanging/swinging in its anatomical position without cringing in pain.
It was 10pm already and we were racing at Earl’s Court underground station for our 10.30pm bus at West Brompton. I stood at the bottom of the escalator and the cabin luggage I was pulling around was two landings below me.
I hoisted it up but the luggage was being painfully stubborn. I twisted to my back to hoist it up. Tugged the stubborn cabin bag up. As the steep escalator climbed steadily, I was tilted backwards and suddenly I was on my back, spread between three or four very steep steps.
Blood rushed to my head. I blinked and assessed the situation. Alhamdulillah at least the cabin luggage did not sail all the way down, nauzubillah. And me neither. Owh nice ceiling.
Okay, now get up.
I tried to but the packed Deuter Futura 32 liter hiking rucksack on my back cemented me on the ground. My right arm was flattened on my fallen side so it was useless, plus there was no space on my right to plant my palm on the ground and hoist myself up.
I tried to grab the handrail with my left but argh I can’t reach it, it was too high from my slanted prone position. The strain on my elbow throbbed from my earlier fall that morning. I could hear the two concerned Londoners behind me asking repetitively, “Are you okay?”
“I will be,” I tried to grab the handrail. “I just-” Again, trying. “-need-” Ouch my elbow hurts. “-to get up.” I’m exhausted.
Can I just lay down here?
“Can you get up?”
“I’m- Can you help me up, please?”
The lady held her hand for me to grab and ouch, stupid girl, why did you have to hurt your elbow earlier on the bus? The man pushed me from my back and after a while struggling, the tortoise was righted back on her feet.
Alhamdulillah, phew. “Thanks guys. I’m okay now.” I laughed.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” The man asked again. “Because you just sort of toppled over.”
Toppled over? I laughed at that word. Had I reminded them of a tortoise? “I am, I am. Thanks.” Smiled.
We then reached the landing and I thanked them both again. It was a really high escalator and I was on my back for quite a long time considering that I fell at the beginning and only righted up towards the end. Nisa thanked them as well. I finally noticed the two of my travelmates and Ara, Allah bless that still laughing girl, relieved me from the luggage.
---
“Lama ke aku jatuh tadi?” I asked the girls in between laughing. The man from earlier stood at the door of a carriage and looked at us in amusement. We smiled gratefully at him.
“Lama!” Ara the exaggerator. “Semua orang yang turun tu tengok~ je kau.”
We boomed out laughing in the middle of the station.
---
It effing hurts. I couldn't straighten my elbow, lift my left arm above its level or leave it hanging/swinging in its anatomical position without cringing in pain.
| Park Royal - Earl's Court. Muka penat budak-budak kaki merayap. |
It was 10pm already and we were racing at Earl’s Court underground station for our 10.30pm bus at West Brompton. I stood at the bottom of the escalator and the cabin luggage I was pulling around was two landings below me.
I hoisted it up but the luggage was being painfully stubborn. I twisted to my back to hoist it up. Tugged the stubborn cabin bag up. As the steep escalator climbed steadily, I was tilted backwards and suddenly I was on my back, spread between three or four very steep steps.
Blood rushed to my head. I blinked and assessed the situation. Alhamdulillah at least the cabin luggage did not sail all the way down, nauzubillah. And me neither. Owh nice ceiling.
Okay, now get up.
I tried to but the packed Deuter Futura 32 liter hiking rucksack on my back cemented me on the ground. My right arm was flattened on my fallen side so it was useless, plus there was no space on my right to plant my palm on the ground and hoist myself up.
I tried to grab the handrail with my left but argh I can’t reach it, it was too high from my slanted prone position. The strain on my elbow throbbed from my earlier fall that morning. I could hear the two concerned Londoners behind me asking repetitively, “Are you okay?”
“I will be,” I tried to grab the handrail. “I just-” Again, trying. “-need-” Ouch my elbow hurts. “-to get up.” I’m exhausted.
Can I just lay down here?
“Can you get up?”
“I’m- Can you help me up, please?”
The lady held her hand for me to grab and ouch, stupid girl, why did you have to hurt your elbow earlier on the bus? The man pushed me from my back and after a while struggling, the tortoise was righted back on her feet.
Alhamdulillah, phew. “Thanks guys. I’m okay now.” I laughed.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” The man asked again. “Because you just sort of toppled over.”
Toppled over? I laughed at that word. Had I reminded them of a tortoise? “I am, I am. Thanks.” Smiled.
We then reached the landing and I thanked them both again. It was a really high escalator and I was on my back for quite a long time considering that I fell at the beginning and only righted up towards the end. Nisa thanked them as well. I finally noticed the two of my travelmates and Ara, Allah bless that still laughing girl, relieved me from the luggage.
---
“Lama ke aku jatuh tadi?” I asked the girls in between laughing. The man from earlier stood at the door of a carriage and looked at us in amusement. We smiled gratefully at him.
“Lama!” Ara the exaggerator. “Semua orang yang turun tu tengok~ je kau.”
We boomed out laughing in the middle of the station.
---
After what happened at Earl’s Court, I am now paranoid at taking the escalator.
When riding an escalator, make sure both of your feet are on the same step, all of the soles of your shoes planted firmly on it. Grip the handrail loosely so as not to be dragged downwards should the handrail cease moving. Face forward and don’t turn your back!
Say your prayers and try not to be so buas.
When riding an escalator, make sure both of your feet are on the same step, all of the soles of your shoes planted firmly on it. Grip the handrail loosely so as not to be dragged downwards should the handrail cease moving. Face forward and don’t turn your back!
Say your prayers and try not to be so buas.

1 comment:
kesian atiqah...dapat plak kawan yg 'baek' cam ara plak kn..hihi
Post a Comment